freebie comes home tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I'm getting a free RT off of Craig's List. She had a small adoption fee but after talking to me, said I could have it for free!

I pick him/her up tomorrow, and am interested to see how this all pans out! She doesn't know the gender, and says it's about 6-7" which is probably inaccurate, as it came from a petstore (large chain) just six months ago. She only took it in to nurse it to health as it had a respiratory infection, and says it's now healthy.

So we'll see! I have a quarantine pen set up (a turtle-shaped sandbox!) for now! This will be my second quarantine tortoise... I can't WAIT to start moving them in with my girls, it seems sooooo far away!!! LOL!

Anyways, will post more tomorrow afternoon once it's home and settled in!

;~) Kelly

S

squirtle

cvalda said:
I'm getting a free RT off of Craig's List. She had a small adoption fee but after talking to me, said I could have it for free!

I pick him/her up tomorrow, and am interested to see how this all pans out! She doesn't know the gender, and says it's about 6-7" which is probably inaccurate, as it came from a petstore (large chain) just six months ago. She only took it in to nurse it to health as it had a respiratory infection, and says it's now healthy.

So we'll see! I have a quarantine pen set up (a turtle-shaped sandbox!) for now! This will be my second quarantine tortoise... I can't WAIT to start moving them in with my girls, it seems sooooo far away!!! LOL!

Anyways, will post more tomorrow afternoon once it's home and settled in!

;~) Kelly

Congratulations and good luck!!!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Hi Kelly, thats Great!! was this the one in Beloit? I responded but didn't hear back....I'm glad you got him, thats awesome.
Cant wait to see pics. I hope he's over the RI or whatever:)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yep, the one in beloit, except that her roommate works in madison so is driving it in and i'll swing by her work and get him! saves me a trip!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nicethat somebody got him/her that knows how to care for one. Deep down are you wanting it to be a male or a female?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats Kelly, definitely glad you ended up with that one. :) Oh and dont forget you have another boy coming home 2 weeks from this coming Sat as well! lol

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yep Anja, I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting him coming home!!!!! I haven't set up a pen for him yet, but will do in time!

Do you think the month with you counts as a month of quarantine?!? LOL! He'll eventually be going in with my little girls. Am anxious to not need these guys quarantined everywhere I look! ROFL!

And as for gender... I really dunno... I'm torn as to what I want it to be... If it's 5" or less then I want it to be a girl! 'Cause if that were the case, I'd have two nice breedings sets of 3 girls and 1 boy each.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay he's here! And he's really cool! He's a smidgen over 5 inches, so a big enough boy (definately a boy!) I really love him because he has Kingston's face!!!!!! And his shell color is the muddy brown like Carmine's! He's got some white on his shell... paint or something??? UGH!

The lady said, "oh his favorite food is romaine, but he also loves mashed apples, and iceburg lettuce." EEEEEEEEEEK! He was sitting there munching on apples when I picked him up, and she had just given him so mashed cranberries. Good grief! So I'll have to get him on a nice healthy diet. He's been nibbling green leaf lettuce all afternoon, he has quiet the appetite, and I think he could stand to gain some weight!

Haven't bothered him for pics yet.

Anyways, he's cool! And I'm calling him ROLAND, since he is missing a toenail, and I'm reading the second book in The Dark Tower set (by Stephen King), and in the book Roland just lost a couple of fingers and a toe, so I thought it was rather fitting! LOL!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay I snapped some pics, and spent a little time holding him. His shell is a bit on the soft side... I hate to say that I am glad to feel what a soft shell feels like because I literally have nightmares at least once a week about finding tortoises in my bed with shells that are soooo soft their like fur... and I always wake up trying to pick up the cats! ROFL! Anyways, maybe now I won't have nightmares about it!

Anyways, as I was taking pics I did notice he has bubbles coming out of his eyes. ARGH! So does that mean he still might have a respiratory infection or something?!?!?!

He's also VERY skittish, which of course is to be expected but still kinda sad. For a tort that has lived in the same home for six months with someone who is supposedly nursing him back to health, he should be in a little better shape.

But anyways he's cool, I love him!

Here's Roland sound asleep under the basking light...
101_1954.jpg

101_1960.jpg

101_1966.jpg

Here's some of the white on his shell. Someone somewhere said it might be healed up shell rot?
101_1969.jpg

Hiding.. you can see his three-toed front leg here...
101_1972.jpg

He was not amused with the camera... (and you can sorta see the bubbly eye in this pic, too)
101_1982.jpg

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
He's a handsome guy.
I like how you came up with his name...I was thinking you'd call him Freebie lol:p

Sounds like he needs calcium, vit. A and UVB
I found that vet # for Madison if you want it.
Boosting his temps and keeping him warm will help too.
Hope he starts feeling better. Good thing you got him and not someone that wouldnt care or have torty knowledge.

I have had some crazy turtle/tortoise dreams myself...too funny. The kitties had to be wondering, What the Heck!:)

tortoiseluv

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hehe, I have tortoise and turtle nightmares too. One was I went outside to do something fun (I don't remember what) and didn't take the tortoise out for a walk and when I came back it was on it's back and i thought it was dead but it wasn't at the end and another dream about my two RES was that my family and I were on a beach and my husband left the turtles (the magically apeared) in a bucket and it tipped and the turtles dug into the sand and were gone in a flash... NEVER TO BE FOUND AGAIN. We should have a thread about crazy tortoise/turtle dreams! I love his face by the way! Soooo cute. I hope you will do a good job in nusing him back to health :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Roland looks so sweet.
I am sorry he is feeling poorly. I am sure if he can start feeling better he will under your loving care. He is a hansome and lucky tort to have found his way to you.

S

squirtle

cvalda said:
Okay I snapped some pics, and spent a little time holding him. His shell is a bit on the soft side... I hate to say that I am glad to feel what a soft shell feels like because I literally have nightmares at least once a week about finding tortoises in my bed with shells that are soooo soft their like fur... and I always wake up trying to pick up the cats! ROFL! Anyways, maybe now I won't have nightmares about it!

Anyways, as I was taking pics I did notice he has bubbles coming out of his eyes. ARGH! So does that mean he still might have a respiratory infection or something?!?!?!

He's also VERY skittish, which of course is to be expected but still kinda sad. For a tort that has lived in the same home for six months with someone who is supposedly nursing him back to health, he should be in a little better shape.

But anyways he's cool, I love him!

Here's Roland sound asleep under the basking light...
101_1954.jpg

101_1960.jpg

101_1966.jpg

Here's some of the white on his shell. Someone somewhere said it might be healed up shell rot?
101_1969.jpg

Hiding.. you can see his three-toed front leg here...
101_1972.jpg

He was not amused with the camera... (and you can sorta see the bubbly eye in this pic, too)
101_1982.jpg

He is so handsome! Roland as in the Gunslinger Roland??? Probably not, but I am a huge Steven King fan and I have many oddly named pets, as such!

So relieved that many people have tortoise nightmares....I have them often!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yep, exactly that Roland! Named as such because I had just started the second Dark Tower book and Roland had just lost his two fingers and toe, when I found out I was getting this tortie and he's missing a toe, so perfect!

I actually named one of my son's Stephen, after Stephen King! HUGE CONSTANT READER here!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Well I do hear there isnt much else to do up here in WI in the winter time but read! LOL I should start stocking up on new books to read.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
well unless you like to be out in the cold, you know, after digging your way through the snow just to get out of the yard... there'll be plenty of opportunities to ski, sled, snowboard and snowmobile! ROFL! i prefer to stay IN though!

S

squirtle

cvalda said:
Yep, exactly that Roland! Named as such because I had just started the second Dark Tower book and Roland had just lost his two fingers and toe, when I found out I was getting this tortie and he's missing a toe, so perfect!

I actually named one of my son's Stephen, after Stephen King! HUGE CONSTANT READER here!

YES! That is so perfect....I didn't even make the connection with the toes! The Dark Tower books are my favorite...the Stand is a close second! So bummed he finished the series.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You know for ages I didn't have any desire to read The Dark Tower. My favorites are the ones like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Long Walk, and Misery, where it really focuses on one person over a short timeframe.

But I was rereading Everything's Eventual, and I guess I must have skipped The Sisters of Eluria the first time around, so I read that and really was impressed by it and decided I ought to give The Dark Tower a chance. I devoured book one, so am really looking forward to the rest of the series now!

I haven't tackled the Stand yet... I don't enjoy the ones with layers and layers of characters quite as much. But will eventually read them ALL! I just need to stop rereading the ones I love so much! LOL!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
cvalda said:
well unless you like to be out in the cold, you know, after digging your way through the snow just to get out of the yard... there'll be plenty of opportunities to ski, sled, snowboard and snowmobile! ROFL! i prefer to stay IN though!

Oh I will definitely be hibernating! I have no desire to do any of those things that include SNOW! ICK! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.