Freezing cold outside everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
How are the cold temps affecting your torts today? Below freezing in parts of Florida, thought of some of you who keep yours mostly outside. Not affected here in NY as mine's inside 24/7 this part of year for obvious reasons. Couldn't help but wonder if it was cold in the southwest/west too. AND if it got cold in all of Florida, including southern regions where wild torts are and if anything in the past with temps has affected their #s significantly...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The weather here in Central California has been unseasonably warm this past week. I've turned off the heater in the green house and its been off for over a week. The sun is not shining, but its about 50f outside. This is having no effect on the tortoises at all. They've all been coming out every day to graze and drink.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
It was 65 degrees today and tomorrow is 75 degrees and sunny. I'm in N. Texas, near Fort Worth.

-Matt

M

Maggie Cummings

It's 46 degrees right now with heavy rain, hail and flooding in parts. It's at freezing or below nightly. Bob and I both hate it. 2 days ago the water in his pen reached the floor of his shed and was just about to flood in when it stopped raining...whew!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
hm so I suppose the only real natural setting for torts that's been below is Florida...I remember every time I visit my grandparents at their condo in SW FL, there's a gopher tortoise burrow just outside the complex and the tortoises even walk around the parking lot. wonder how they're doing, its in the 30s there right now...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yeah I know what you mean. Its been getting into the high 60s low 70s around here at night. Its time for a blanket on my bed. BRRRRRRR

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Right now it's 21 with the wind chill factor, it feels like 8. Hopefully all my boxies are dug down deep enough so they don't freeze. My Cherries are inside of course, nice and cozy.
I went out tonight and braved the cold, because I found a 125 gal tank on craigslist for Pio. I'm so excited . It will seem like Spring in my house next week, as I'm playing in the dirt and planting that viv.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
that IS exciting! just the other day I got a 6X3 bookcase to make my table out of. I got my new clamp lamp, mvb, and temp gun in the mail and asked my dad "is it weird that I get excited when lamps and light bulbs come in the mail?"

while at target getting the bookcase I walked past the large selection of plastic containers and said "tortoise cages!" :p but I'm graduating from the sterilite, moving on up to the spacious table.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Today's high on my thermometer says 82. Should cool down to the mid 70's this weekend. I love AZ.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Way cold in SW Florida, 28ish at night. We keep ours heated anything below 55.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
It's 15F here ~ mine are all indoors for the time being since they are still small and young. Good thing too !

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Lately its been pretty nice here. I've been walking around in pants and a shirt and not getting too cold. I'll have to check the temps to give you anything specific.

But yes, too cold for a tort.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
15F here and we haven't seen any snow yet,so not a bad winter so far.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't worry about the wild torts. Their burrows are designed to keep them safe from extreme temps...

chadk

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't worry about the wild torts. Their burrows are designed to keep them safe from extreme temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.