Hail in Florida?

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
I was at the grocery store when I got a severe weather warning. My two torts were outside in their outdoor enclosures and when I got home it was hailing. And very cold? I brought them inside immediately but they were outside for about 30 mins. Has anyone else had this such peculiar weather? Hail in Florida, especially during the summer is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was at the grocery store when I got a severe weather warning. My two torts were outside in their outdoor enclosures and when I got home it was hailing. And very cold? I brought them inside immediately but they were outside for about 30 mins. Has anyone else had this such peculiar weather? Hail in Florida, especially during the summer is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.
I live in south Broward county.
Hail generally means severe weather is around and also, possibly tornadoes.
Its serious.
Not all that uncommon

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I live in south Broward county.
Hail generally means severe weather is around and also, possibly tornadoes.
Its serious.
Not all that uncommon
Agreed. We occasionally get hail in North Florida as well. Our local National Weather Service can often provide a heads up with their severe weather warnings that hail is a possibility. Then again, I'm inland.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
How bad are the tornadoes you guys get? I've always been curious about other places with that
Florida actually gets a lot of tornadoes, but they don't usually pack nearly the punch that you see in the Midwest. That being said, there have been some exceptions... One in southern Georgia a couple years or so ago comes to mind.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I can imagine. That part of the state can get some weird weather conditions sometimes. Do your torts have shelters in their outdoor enclosures? I don't know how good their "weather sense" might be, but I would hope they would figure out to seek shelter if it started raining, well... rocks of ice from the sky.

How long have you been in Florida, by the way?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I can imagine. That part of the state can get some weird weather conditions sometimes. Do your torts have shelters in their outdoor enclosures? I don't know how good their "weather sense" might be, but I would hope they would figure out to seek shelter if it started raining, well... rocks of ice from the sky.

How long have you been in Florida, by the way?
My whole life. This has only happened to me once though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How bad are the tornadoes you guys get? I've always been curious about other places with that
They are 300 miles across, travel at 10 miles an hour and last for hours with winds at 150 mph and rip houses apart.
Oh, those are giant tornadoes. Called hurricanes.
We get it all, here.
Except maybe for blizzards.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
They are 300 miles across, travel at 10 miles an hour and last for hours with winds at 150 mph and rip houses apart.
We get it all, here.
Oh, and the hurricanes often spin off more tornadoes, too. Since we have so much coastline, we get a special variety of tornado that you don't see out west... Waterspouts!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
We get it all, here.
If we get any white stuff that is still on the ground in the morning, we call it a snow day. Not really joking about that, either. You don't even see the Bridge May Ice Over in winter (or something like that) signs until you cross the border into Georgia.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Crazy!!! We just get the really bad tornadoes. We haven't had a blizzard since i was a kid and thankfully it happened while I was in cozmel lol. Oh, and fires because ppl are dumb as***

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
If we get any white stuff that is still on the ground in the morning, we call it a snow day. Not really joking about that, either. You don't even see the Bridge May Ice Over in winter (or something like that) signs until you cross the border into Georgia.

If we get snow here ppl freak out. They drive like idiots and you see a TON of cars on the sides of roads or in ditches

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh, and the hurricanes often spin off more tornadoes, too. Since we have so much coastline, we get a special variety of tornado that you don't see out west... Waterspouts!
Have you been on the highway anywhere in Florida and seen in storming like crazy on one side and calm on the other?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Have you been on the highway anywhere in Florida and seen in storming like crazy on one side and calm on the other?
I don't know if I've had a storm break lengthwise along a highway, but I've definitely had it be like a curtain, driving from heavy pouring rain into nothing, no transition at all.