Fruit flies

Location (City and/or State)
East Hartford
I currently have a problem with fruit flies in my indoor tortoises enclosure, can anyone reccomend me something I can buy online to make them go away? I tried a diy method but it didnt work, thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an ongoing problem in moist, warm environments. If you'll notice, down at the bottom of this page, there are several threads about gnats in enclosures. You may find something helpful to your situation there.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Snap! I have the same really annoying. In desperation I have put on the inside glass a cut in half sticky fly catcher. I do not want to poison Speedy so will monitor and it is loaded with dead beasties already. You can rip of and dispose easily. Never had this before.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you sure they're fruit flies?

One of the most common residents in our enclosures are phorid flies, which are very similar to fruit flies.

The phorid flies live in the warm moist substrate and work as a clean up crew, eating food bits, urine, and poop. They are actually beneficial, even if gross, and won't bother your torts in the least. The population will decrease on its own as the flies adjust to the food supply.

Consider leaving them in the viv.

East Hartford
Are you sure they're fruit flies?

One of the most common residents in our enclosures are phorid flies, which are very similar to fruit flies.

The phorid flies live in the warm moist substrate and work as a clean up crew, eating food bits, urine, and poop. They are actually beneficial, even if gross, and won't bother your torts in the least. The population will decrease on its own as the flies adjust to the food supply.

Consider leaving them in the viv.
How can I tell the difference

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How can I tell the difference
Phorid flies will try to run away from a threat first. If that doesn't work, then they fly.

Try to slowly put your hand near them when they're on the wall of the enclosure, and see if they run before flying.

Also, fruit flies have red eyes, phorid flies do not, and phorid flies have a hump back.

phorid-humpbacked-fly.jpg