Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've noticed some of the RES in my pond have fungus growing on their feet and around the edges of their shells. I can't catch them, as they're wild and canny. The pond is large. I know that adding salt to the water helps, however this pond is many hundreds of gallons (don't really know how big) and I doubt even a whole container of salt would be enough.

Anyone have any tips for me?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am dealing with the same problem, I think it has something to do with me redoing the whole pond this spring. I am in the process of collecting enough duckweed to cover the surface and have some to add because the turtles will eat it quick,I also have a small plants of water hyacinthie (waited to long to start it) but not enough to put it in because they destroy that also.I never knew about the salt, Food Lion sells it in 25 pound bags at a good price, but I have no idea how much to put in. I have been doing frequent water changes to help keep the algae down as best as I can until the pond gets back to it's old self. Len

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, a tablespoon of salt per gallon of water. But that's in an aquarium. I re-did my pond last year too and am having a really bad algae bloom right now.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
What about them fish with the sucker mouths that eat that stuff as food? When I had big fish tanks years ago the would even clean the fish if they had it on them. Just a thought. Plecostomus I think they are called.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure they can live through the cold winter. Aren't they a tropical fish? I'm willing to give it a try if you think they can live in cold weather.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
yagyujubei said:
Fungus or algae?

The pond has algae, but the turtles have white, fuzzy-looking stuff on their legs I thought was fungus.

Thanks for the links, Angela.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Yvonne, hey you said white fuzzy stuff on their legs....my two girls had that once....but I did a 100% water change and added the chlorine remover and put em back in and within a week the white fuzzy went away...don't know if it would have gone away on its own or if it even had anything to do with that or not...but it went away and they are fine and little piglets as usual :p

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
As far as the algae eaters, I had them in my fresh water fish tank. They tend to do ok in colder weather as well. But I will see if I can find out some more info on them and let you know.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Those are good links for pond supplies. I have ordered from the first one. I can sing the praises of barley hay (liquid, bags of hay, pellet form, etc.) as an algae preventive, they make amounts for large ponds.
Not sure if that would help the fungus, but since both problems have arisen together...
(They used to throw a bale of barley hay down their wells in the OLDEN days to keep the water clear. At least the smart ones did.)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
the white fuzzy looking stuff may be just shed skin. some pictures would help as far as algea control gose use special blend by micrbe lift or api microbial algea clean. and if it is fugus pimafix works well. don't use salt it is bad for plants and can case problems for you turtles if used for long periods. you can use iodine mixed with water as a dip but you would have to catch the turtle(s) to do that

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks William: I looked up Pimafix and it looks like I should be able to buy it at Petsmart. And 16oz takes care of 4800 gallons, so it should work for me. My turtles thank you!!

xcourtney3

5 Year Member
My grandmother uses non iodized salt from the grocery store. It takes about three containers.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
you're welcome. i've used it for fungal shell rot and fungus infections in fish

Status
Not open for further replies.