Funny looking scutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I noticed that Franklin has raised lines between his scutes. I don't remember seeing them before. Is this normal?

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366932880.173422.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366932896.394392.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366932913.125150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like maybe some slight pyramiding. Hard to tell by the pics. One pic looks really smooth, one looks like slight pyramiding. How old and big is he?

erica anne

5 Year Member
He definitely has pyramiding. We are trying to correct it with increased humidity but it is a slow process...

The weird thing is that some scutes are smooth while others are raised!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a leopard that has pyramiding, but info in the beginning:( I found TFO and started to house him right. His top scutes never really improved much, but the others have. Might be the same thing with your tort.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks like you're catching this in time which is why some lines are smooth while others are raised. As time goes by, it will all smooth out although the slight pyramiding will always be there. All you can do you are already doing. Good job, btw. Another thing you should be considering is that there are other things that can pyramiding. Good diet, plenty of good old fashion sunshine, and plenty of exercise are necessary to prevent pyramiding, not just lack of humidity.

erica anne

5 Year Member
sibi said:
It looks like you're catching this in time which is why some lines are smooth while others are raised. As time goes by, it will all smooth out although the slight pyramiding will always be there. All you can do you are already doing. Good job, btw. Another thing you should be considering is that there are other things that can pyramiding. Good diet, plenty of good old fashion sunshine, and plenty of exercise are necessary to prevent pyramiding, not just lack of humidity.

True and great advice! We have started letting him run around for several hours a day in the sun. He mostly gets grass, dandelions and zoomed grassland tortoise pellets soaked in water. He gets occasional treats like spring mix and prickly pear. Hope this all does the trick!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He is a beauty. I like saying that . Like Steve Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.