Misting tort

jnirvello

Location (City and/or State)
fort myers, florida
after I mist my tort, I don’t dry him off completely. I noticed some white lines around his scutes. I’m assuming it’s new growth from the research I’ve done - is it okay to leave their shells moist?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep....leave your Sully nice and moist, I'm assuming you have a nice enclosed container, proper heat...etc. as long as you have all that established, yes. Are you just misting, or actually doing a nice 15-30 min warm water soak. Btw, shell looks good, nice shape. I don't quite see any of the new growth lines...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New growth on sulcatas comes in dark. I can't see anything in the pic, but there are two things that could be your white lines:
1. Do a search for "squiggly white lines". We don't know what these are, but the are normal and not harmful.
2. If you are using tap water, you might be getting hard water stains over time. Use RO (Reverse Osmosis), distilled, or captured rainwater for spraying and rinsing the carapace or enclosure to prevent this. Don't use RO, distilled or rainwater for drinking or soaking though. They need the minerals.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Oh.. that’s interesting. For soaking, the only place he’ll remain relaxed is my bath tub. Anywhere else he’s scratching and running away.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Keep the water Luke Warm. Not too hot and not too cold. Test the temp with the front side of your wrist.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Keep the water Luke Warm. Not too hot and not too cold. Test the temp with the front side of your wrist.

I often wonder why torts like 95 F basking temps , but can't handle water warmer than a baby bottle ? As I said , if you can hold you're hand in it it is NOT too warm ! Simple logic shows you are mistaken .

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I often wonder why torts like 95 F basking temps , but can't handle water warmer than a baby bottle ? As I said , if you can hold you're hand in it it is NOT too warm ! Simple logic shows you are mistaken .
I'm glad you pointed this out. I make the water like bath water. I wonder how it feels to them. To me, 80 F water feels really cold, 85 F is comfortable for swimming, but if I'm sitting in the tub, I need it much warmer.