Future Tortoise enclosure

BP12

5 Year Member
Hello All,

Here are some pics of my future Tortoise enclosure that I am starting.

My first question is, what type of walls should I create for the most escape proof enclosure

Second question, my Dad always buried chicken wire just under the dirt so they can’t burro out, is this a good idea and if not what is a safe alternative?

Thanks

Bryan

Attachments

• image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Nice area! What kind of tortoise is it for? Russians are good climbers and sulcatas are good diggers so plan for the tort. I like the chicken wire idea. Its a good saftey net.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like it will be a great place for a tort. The size of it is nice, is this for a large tortoise? I would be very careful of the sand, it causes impaction. I would either remove it, or if you really don't want to do that, then be sure there is never anything on it that the tort might eat and then ingesting sand. The safer way, is to not have sand.

BP12

5 Year Member
Wow...Wellington, I thought the sand would be a great place for them to dig or lay eggs, great tip!
Lismar79, I will post pics as soon as possible to get them identified.
these are the tips I need, Thank you!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Looks like a great area for a turtle or tortoise! I too use the chicken wire along the edge of my enclosure. I only put it along the side of my neighbors fence. I dug down about a foot, laid it down and I stapled it about a foot up from the level ground. It's been over a year and has worked well for both my sulcata area, and my Russian tortoise. It's great that you're figuring it out now instead of doing it and having to change it. Keep us updated.