G.E. "COLORCHOICE" T5 LED lighting tubes

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recently replaced the UVB tubes and daylight tubes in the double tube fixtures over my old world Chameleons.
I've been using 6,500 florescent tubes. Or general grow lights. Not so much to help the plants grow. But for the actual light. I want bright lights at the very top of the screened enclosures.

I decided on LED this time. I saw some at Lowes. Since these will be just for light I decided why not? They're $11 each. But they should last a very long time.

Once opened I saw that these are very unusual. They have a switch to change the color. I've never seen anything like that before. The 6,500 setting is nice and bright. The other two are a little less.
Since these are LED. They should be long lasting. They are energy efficient. The color change switch would be helpful if you wanted a bit less light but still the features of an LED. And these can be custom mounted. Due to the fact they're LED, they don't require a ballast like a standard T5 tube. (But can be used in a standard hood WITH a ballast)
I just find these to be very cool. Excellent for what I need them for and maybe a good choice for others.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210_210851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210_210851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently replaced the UVB tubes and daylight tubes in the double tube fixtures over my old world Chameleons.
I've been using 6,500 florescent tubes. Or general grow lights. Not so much to help the plants grow. But for the actual light. I want bright lights at the very top of the screened enclosures.

I decided on LED this time. I saw some at Lowes. Since these will be just for light I decided why not? They're $11 each. But they should last a very long time.

Once opened I saw that these are very unusual. They have a switch to change the color. I've never seen anything like that before. The 6,500 setting is nice and bright. The other two are a little less.
Since these are LED. They should be long lasting. They are energy efficient. The color change switch would be helpful if you wanted a bit less light but still the features of an LED. And these can be custom mounted. Due to the fact they're LED, they don't require a ballast like a standard T5 tube. (But can be used in a standard hood WITH a ballast)
I just find these to be very cool. Excellent for what I need them for and maybe a good choice for others.
Does that bulb fit into a normal fluorescent fixture? I see the prongs on the end. I've seen those for sale, but never used them.

I found this one at Walmart:IMG_8099.jpg
It has one switch for the color temp 2500, 5000, 6500, and another switch for high, low, or off. Its got mounting tabs on each end for easy installation, and you can link multiple ones together if you want. Two screws for mounting, plug it in, and off you go. Cost was around $35.

I think LED is a better way to go than fluorescent for a number of reasons. Now we just need the LED UV bulb to come down in price, and they need to keep making incandescent floods for heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Does that bulb fit into a normal fluorescent fixture? I see the prongs on the end. I've seen those for sale, but never used them.

I found this one at Walmart:View attachment 352425
It has one switch for the color temp 2500, 5000, 6500, and another switch for high, low, or off. Its got mounting tabs on each end for easy installation, and you can link multiple ones together if you want. Two screws for mounting, plug it in, and off you go. Cost was around $35.

I think LED is a better way to go than fluorescent for a number of reasons. Now we just need the LED UV bulb to come down in price, and they need to keep making incandescent floods for heat.
Yes
The tubes fit into the regular "tombstone" florescent fittings in my hoods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes
The tubes fit into the regular "tombstone" florescent fittings in my hoods.
That is pretty handy. Very convenient.

I wondered about the variation in wattage from fixture to fixture. T5 HO, T5, T8, all the different lengths... Do these bulbs work with any wattage/voltage? Most florescent hoods I've used had a ballast, so does that ballast work with the LED tubes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is pretty handy. Very convenient.

I wondered about the variation in wattage from fixture to fixture. T5 HO, T5, T8, all the different lengths... Do these bulbs work with any wattage/voltage? Most florescent hoods I've used had a ballast, so does that ballast work with the LED tubes?
My hoods are ballasted.
The new LED work with the ballasts.
But the new LED do not require them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm going to search for a 2, 3 or 4 T5 24" LED fixture without a ballast for next year. (I'll need 3 of everything)
I think it's time to do 1 LED UVB and at least two 6,500 LED daytime tubes

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
My hoods are ballasted.
The new LED work with the ballasts.
But the new LED do not require them.

It's not true of all new LED tubes. Some work with an existing ballast, some don't need ballast; some will work with or without ballast. The ones you posted require a ballast.

Type A/Replacement = works with ballast.
Type B/Direct Wire = no ballast
Type A & B/Hybrid = works both ways

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's not true of all new LED tubes. Some work with an existing ballast, some don't need ballast; some will work with or without ballast. The ones you posted require a ballast.

Type A/Replacement = works with ballast.
Type B/Direct Wire = no ballast
Type A & B/Hybrid = works both ways
Thank you.
You are absolutely correct.
I'll probably look into LED panels for UVB and ambient lighting. They're flat and seem like a good fit for my Chameleons.
I'll buy one after the holidays and test it out.

Last edited: