GA laws

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I really want to get a box turtle. I have the means to give one or more a great life. Ive kept them before when I was younger and they're great little pets! However it is illegal to own any native species in GA regardless of its origin including box turtles (Florida, eastern, gulfcoast, three toed)
http://gadnrle.org/laws-native-wildlife

I've always considered myself a law abiding citizen, but I really want one. Would the feds really kick down my door?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We can't condone anything illegal here on the Forum. Sorry - you're on your own here. However, the link you've shown us refers to NATIVE wildlife. If there's a species of box turtle that's not native to Georgia, maybe it would be ok to keep that species?????

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I gotcha. I would never take one from the wild though. Id feel terrible about that .I have a few that live in the woods behinds my house and I usually see them come around springtime.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok well I think I have found my solution after your suggestion @Yvonne G ! After a little digging, I just got off the phone with the Dept Nat Resources and found out I can legally own an Ornate box turtle (Terrapene Ornata Ornata).

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
NY has similar laws but you can get a permit to posess native turtles rather easily. Generally you have to show some research or enhancement to the species, but that's doable.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
You can get a Florida, Ornate, Panhandle Gulf Coast, Mexican, Yucatán, Spotted, any of the Cuora Box Turtles(hardiest is the Flavos). Of course some of these are pretty pricey but if you have some money to burn maybe their for you, lol! Of course if it was me, I would just get a captive bred intergrade from another state with proof of purchase and have fun with the state trying to take that turtle.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ok well I think I have found my solution after your suggestion @Yvonne G ! After a little digging, I just got off the phone with the Dept Nat Resources and found out I can legally own an Ornate box turtle (Terrapene Ornata Ornata).

Cool!!! The ornates are LOVELY animals![emoji2][emoji106]

jakskillz

Georgia
You can get a Florida, Ornate, Panhandle Gulf Coast, Mexican, Yucatán, Spotted, any of the Cuora Box Turtles(hardiest is the Flavos). Of course some of these are pretty pricey but if you have some money to burn maybe their for you, lol! Of course if it was me, I would just get a captive bred intergrade from another state with proof of purchase and have fun with the state trying to take that turtle.

Be careful with the Florida, gulfs, and even 3toeds because people/governments consider them all subspecies of the same eastern species. I have found there isn’t any clear agreement in most states about whether to separate the subspecies so you can own some or to blanket ban all North American box turtles to own. It’s easier for them to just make all terrapene Carolina sp. illegal because sometimes it’s not easy for the average person to distinguish an eastern from a 3toed or gulf coast. The only state where you can find all 4 eastern subspecies is Florida and they even allow 2 per person.
There’s a rumor that Georgia is the last area the Putnami box turtle has been seen so that may be why they keep native box turtles banned since there are still disclaimers to contact fwc immediately if a putnami is found. Putnami is just the name for the giant box turtle.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Is it legal to keep an Alligator Snapping turtle in Ga?
Welcome to the club! This is a 4 year old thread....but Todd is still here, and I think has taken on the mundane tasks of Mod.......so maybe he or others can answer you.

I have a question though after catching big ones, REALLY big ones..................why do want one?

I also had a 3' Caimen....he grew to 4 ft while I had him......the Alligator snappers definitely had a faster strike.............just stay on your toes....we don't want to nickname you, Lefty in a couple years!

jeff

TurtleMaMa57

Jasper
Yes Melissa, it is illegal to keep Alligator snapping turtles in GA. Here is a link to a list of turtle spices you cannot keep as pets in GA. They are listed among the reptiles.
Blessings,
Sherrie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Certainly. Until you are totally aware of the laws in regards to keeping any animal, check right away if you become "accidentally" in possession of one. Do not post photos or mention it on social media and inquire what the laws are about that animal. (If there is a permit to keep it or how it should be surrendered) with your fish and wildlife department