Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

I was able to finish hoeing half the cactus garden before I started to get tired. Hopefully I can finish the rest tomorrow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
That's a beauty.

I hate to keep saying it, but so you understand why my cactus garden is such a mess...I'm still working at getting my energy back after the kidney stone episode. Last week I finally started feeling a little more energetic, but in the meantime, all this rain caused an awful lot of weed growth. So please disregard the weedy mess, and only appreciate the beautiful cactus. I'm a couple days late on the night bloomers. Most of the flowers have started closing up already. Look in the background of the first picture. That hollyhock is about 15' tall.View attachment 172808 View attachment 172809 View attachment 172810 View attachment 172811 View attachment 172812 View attachment 172813 View attachment 172814

The last picture is some kind of aloe or maybe agave (I think). I bought it in one of those teeny tiny pots many years ago. When it got big enough to plant outside I did and it really took off. It's taller than I am.

Taking these pictures has made me want to get my hoe and rake and forget the greenhouse. I guess today I'll chop weeds!
Omg omg omg!!!! This is gardener's heaven!!!! I want to live there!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I told you all about the little cone-shaped holes all over my tortoise yards.

skunk holes a.jpg skunk holes.jpg

But I'm about to draw the line. I didn't particularly mind the little holes in the dirt, aids in aeration, right? But this morning I went outside to this:

skunk holes b.jpg

My skunk is either pretty stupid or he doesn't have a very good nose. There's nothing in that dirt but sand, potting soil and rocks.

I have a couple Hav-A-Heart critter traps, but who wants to get that close to a skunk?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So I told you all about the little cone-shaped holes all over my tortoise yards.

View attachment 172996 View attachment 172998

But I'm about to draw the line. I didn't particularly mind the little holes in the dirt, aids in aeration, right? But this morning I went outside to this:

View attachment 172997

My skunk is either pretty stupid or he doesn't have a very good nose. There's nothing in that dirt but sand, potting soil and rocks.

I have a couple Hav-A-Heart critter traps, but who wants to get that close to a skunk?

Oh man, I feel for you!! No one wants to deal with a skunk!!
My brother in law traps them and relocates them. He's never had a problem with transporting them. Maybe he covers the trap with a blanket.

Rue

Canada
I think they can't spray if they can't lift their tail...

And really, they don't want to spray either, it's a last resort for them.

I hate to kill them (they are so cute and I've know pet skunks too) but I also can't have them in the barn. I am concerned they might bring rabies to the semi-feral barn cats (and the semi-feral barn cats get first dibs on the barn). We try to shoo them out with a broom, but if they're persistent we have to take more extreme measures.

I will shoo and irritate them until they start looking upset and stamping their feet. Once that happens they're getting ready to lift their tail...

Then I back off...try again later.

If you do transport them, make sure it's far enough away that they can't find their way back - and that it's not close to someone else's property.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I picked up two new plants for a new butterfly/hummingbird garden I'm putting in next to our pool.

I really don't know much about them but the painted reds are a hybrid.
I got a few head turns at the nursery. I think someone said they're usually yellow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463277979.257254.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463277994.859206.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
I picked up two new plants for a new butterfly/hummingbird garden I'm putting in next to our pool.

I really don't know much about them but the painted reds are a hybrid.
I got a few head turns at the nursery. I think someone said they're usually yellow.

View attachment 173573
View attachment 173574
Those painted reds remind me of my Cosmos. I started with little seed pack 15-16 yrs ago and have them all over every year. Mine range from lemon through all the yellows, oranges and reds through almost rusty. I love those. Yours maybe different. I too have tons of butterflies and hummingbirds. There's a huge population of Monarchs here, few kinds of Swallowtail and some others, but Monarchs live in my garden by 100's. Literally. I had to learn to plant enough parsley and dill for my family and the caterpillars. My kids love to watch them go through their life cycle

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Since the last week in April we have had clouds and rain all but 2 days, Mothers Day and today we had some sunshine but later in the day it rained some.All the torts houses heat is still on and they just go on naturally like a happy tortoise does.The plants are slowly coming to life. The Russians cactus is loading up on new pads and blooms.Picture 417 copy.jpg Picture 417 copy.jpg Picture 417 copy.jpg Picture 417 copy.jpg Picture 435.jpg The banana trees and elephant earsseem to be about a month behind on growth.Picture 422.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463406109.867067.jpgnot a good shot but you can see my amaryllis here. I got 1 bulb in early 90's as a gift. Planted it in my family home where only my mom now lives in Florida. This 1 bulb has multiplied over those years so Mom has flower bed full of them. She then brought me 2 of those bulbs and they have already multiplied. Awesome plant!

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463406566.315254.jpg my pink Turk's cap. It's getting too big for the bed it's in, so I tried to dig up some root clumps and transplant them into the tortoise garden... But the newly planted one looks pretty dead. I'll keep watering and hoping for emerging of new shoots:)