Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Ouch! All those cacti! I love them but they always get me. You are brave to tackle those. I can't imagine repotting big ones like yours by myself. Home Depot here in Austin was selling gorgeous Golden Barrels, Agave's and couple others in HUGE (not sure what size those biggest plastic growers pots are but that's what they were. So you can imagine the size of those Golden Barrels... Ahhh!.... Dream on, Ava! They were only 129$ each! I would totally get one of those barrells.... But... How in a world would you plant it without heavy equipment??!! For me really anything bigger than root ball fitting in 1 gal pot and prickly top... is too much to handle. I gave up cacti many years ago for that reason but now with the babies in our family... I picked it back up and my collection is slowly growing. I think I might start a thread for opuntia growers. I know nothing about them other than they just grow like crazy for me here
Speaking of cactuses, my dad gave us a pot of some Opuntia pads; the plant was about a foot in diameter. We have a lot of yard space so we wanted to get them out of the ugly pot and into the ground. Hubby got some leather gloves from Lowe's and planted them in the ground when I busy doing homework or not feeling well. So I miss the excitement and of course he still came back into the house and said, "Apparently leather gloves aren't enough to keep Opuntia spines from getting stuck in your skin!" He's a trooper! :D

Sorry I've been busy and now suffering from a cold, so I'm still catching up on the thread! I'll post photos of our tortoise garden soon too.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's a beauty.

I hate to keep saying it, but so you understand why my cactus garden is such a mess...I'm still working at getting my energy back after the kidney stone episode. Last week I finally started feeling a little more energetic, but in the meantime, all this rain caused an awful lot of weed growth. So please disregard the weedy mess, and only appreciate the beautiful cactus. I'm a couple days late on the night bloomers. Most of the flowers have started closing up already. Look in the background of the first picture. That hollyhock is about 15' tall.View attachment 172808 View attachment 172809 View attachment 172810 View attachment 172811 View attachment 172812 View attachment 172813 View attachment 172814

The last picture is some kind of aloe or maybe agave (I think). I bought it in one of those teeny tiny pots many years ago. When it got big enough to plant outside I did and it really took off. It's taller than I am.

Taking these pictures has made me want to get my hoe and rake and forget the greenhouse. I guess today I'll chop weeds!
LOVE it! It's making me jealous! I'd love to live in a place where I could have a cactus garden in my background. They look so relaxing. There's a nice one I visited outside of the Ethel M Chocolates factory in Las Vegas. Chocolate and a cactus garden. Is there really more you need for a relaxing trip? :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I picked up two new plants for a new butterfly/hummingbird garden I'm putting in next to our pool.

I really don't know much about them but the painted reds are a hybrid.
I got a few head turns at the nursery. I think someone said they're usually yellow.

View attachment 173573
View attachment 173574
Very nice! :) We're working on a butterfly garden in our yard too; let me know if you need any plant suggestions! ;)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Bone meal.

For me, daylilies are a no fuss plant. Don't even have to plant them and they survive and grow themselves into the soil.
Same here in Michigan. They'll grow like crazy! Everyone loves them and you can find them on the roadsides a lot. I'm more in favor of the Michigan lily (Lilium michiganense), which grows from a seed instead of a bulb. Go natives! I hope mine come up!! Here's a photo of them from Prairie Moon Nursery:

michigan-lily-lilium-michiganese.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Pretty! I'm a little confused...what's the first one? Is it coreopsis?

Sorry, I just this.
I looked it up and it's a Bidens.
Bidens 'BeeDance Painted Red'
Half-hardy Perennial
Ideal For:patio, ground cover
Flowering Period:July, August, September, October
Position:full sun
Hardiness:Half-hardy

Unique bicolour bidens
Best bidens for bees and butterflies
Drought tolerant
The perfect patio plant for attracting wildlife without compromising on the design and look of your garden! Bees and butterflies will be flocking to your garden this summer thanks to the intense honey scent and high nectar levels of Bidens 'Bee Dance Painted Red'. On a warm summer day, the perfume will cloud across the patio. These compact yet heavily flowering bidens plants are perfect for baskets, pots and windowboxes, or mixing into cottage garden beds and borders, coping well in periods of drought and gardener's neglect! Bidens 'Bee Dance Painted Red' stems from new breeding work, utilising hard to find species in order to extend the colour spectrum of this reliable summer basket plant. Add this easy-care plant to your baskets this summer! Height 30cm (12"). Spread: 45cm (18").

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Same here in Michigan. They'll grow like crazy! Everyone loves them and you can find them on the roadsides a lot. I'm more in favor of the Michigan lily (Lilium michiganense), which grows from a seed instead of a bulb. Go natives! I hope mine come up!! Here's a photo of them from Prairie Moon Nursery:

michigan-lily-lilium-michiganese.jpg

Those are pretty.

Prairie Mom

Sorry, I just this.
I looked it up and it's a Bidens.
Bidens 'BeeDance Painted Red'
Half-hardy Perennial
Ideal For:patio, ground cover
Flowering Period:July, August, September, October
Position:full sun
Hardiness:Half-hardy

Unique bicolour bidens
Best bidens for bees and butterflies
Drought tolerant
The perfect patio plant for attracting wildlife without compromising on the design and look of your garden! Bees and butterflies will be flocking to your garden this summer thanks to the intense honey scent and high nectar levels of Bidens 'Bee Dance Painted Red'. On a warm summer day, the perfume will cloud across the patio. These compact yet heavily flowering bidens plants are perfect for baskets, pots and windowboxes, or mixing into cottage garden beds and borders, coping well in periods of drought and gardener's neglect! Bidens 'Bee Dance Painted Red' stems from new breeding work, utilising hard to find species in order to extend the colour spectrum of this reliable summer basket plant. Add this easy-care plant to your baskets this summer! Height 30cm (12"). Spread: 45cm (18").
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
A cloud is currently covering the sun so it scared my Stevie under his Spirea bush. My excitement for the day in the garden was separating my aster from a clump of grass that was probably growing in the same tub when I bought it. Here's a photo of it from April; he's so much tinier now!

upload_2016-5-19_17-57-44.png

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a different honeysuckle than the usual type that grows wild. I noticed it last year growing in an area that is going to be revamped this summer so I payed no attention to it. To me it didn't look like honeysuckle, but it started getting blooms this spring that did.Picture 450.jpg Picture 451.jpg It is a very aggressive grower, I don't know where it came from. Anyone have this growing where you are? Here is what grows wild herePicture 452.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. I've always loved honeysuckle, but am unable to keep it alive.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I have a different honeysuckle than the usual type that grows wild. I noticed it last year growing in an area that is going to be revamped this summer so I payed no attention to it. To me it didn't look like honeysuckle, but it started getting blooms this spring that did.View attachment 174107 View attachment 174108 It is a very aggressive grower, I don't know where it came from. Anyone have this growing where you are? Here is what grows wild hereView attachment 174109
I think I do have that kind growing here. I'll have to take a photo when I have time.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I have a different honeysuckle than the usual type that grows wild. I noticed it last year growing in an area that is going to be revamped this summer so I payed no attention to it. To me it didn't look like honeysuckle, but it started getting blooms this spring that did.View attachment 174107 View attachment 174108 It is a very aggressive grower, I don't know where it came from. Anyone have this growing where you are? Here is what grows wild hereView attachment 174109
Is it fragrant? Few wks ago I took few "pinchings" off wild growing one on river banks in neighboring town. Ih, the smell!!! So beautiful! I wouldn't mind that thing being invasive in my garden at all, but NOT ONE cutting grew roots! I was very disappointed! It wasthis same kind as the one on your last picture. Flowers from yellow➡️white

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I also seem to remember reading something about invasive honeysuckle species that was not native and rather introduced to this land, now causing problems

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Is it fragrant? It has little aroma, about the same as the wild ones. I think the cool temps we are having have a lot to do with that. Not above 80 f in the month of May yet, and it ain't happening today either. Mid 50s and rain are going to make a messy Preakness this afternoon. Here is one of my neglected rose's, it is called peppermint Picture 458 copy.jpg If you get real close to the bloom it has a peppermint smell.Picture 459 copy.jpg