Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@Jacqui : I saw this picture on the 'net and thought it looked like something you would do. It's almost the same color blue as your tortoise fence posts:

3-fence-beauty-664x736.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I did use cans in another project. Problem is in the sun, they try out quickly as there is such little root room.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
@Jacqui : I saw this picture on the 'net and thought it looked like something you would do. It's almost the same color blue as your tortoise fence posts:

3-fence-beauty-664x736.jpg
Cool way to put those ugly privacy fences to work. I have tried something similar here in one area of my backyard where neighbors have their fence (we don't). In our Texas heat I don't know what plants would survive summer. Unless I went out there with my hose several times a day. Bummer for me! I love that blue too!

Pearly

5 Year Member

Pearly

5 Year Member
Would the cans need holes in the bottom to drain out rainwater?
On those real hot days they wouldn't, but normally you have have drainage unless dealing with bog or pond plants. Plus those little can would get sohot and just bake the soil and roots in there. I always felt sorry for those poor plants. Now for you guys, living up North that maybe a whole different story. You could try drilling few holes or put some hydroballs or even lava rock on the bottom for drainage

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cool way to put those ugly privacy fences to work. I have tried something similar here in one area of my backyard where neighbors have their fence (we don't). In our Texas heat I don't know what plants would survive summer. Unless I went out there with my hose several times a day. Bummer for me! I love that blue too!

Maybe rose moss or succulents?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yes, in my opinion all pots need holes.
This is what my fiance says too; he seems to do a lot of gardening research so I trust him... so far. XD My first thought with the pots was air plants (Tillandsia) or something of the sort.

Up all night studying again and thank goodness for a Tortoise Forum break. This last course really blows!!! :mad: Grr, just gimme my diploma so I can get back to tortoise gardening!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Maybe rose moss or succulents?
Maybe so but in my are to be able to keep ANYTHING alive through our summer heat I'd have to be out there watering in am, noon and probably again late afternoon. Our temps at times reach triple digits. Had one summer here that average temp was 100F and on many occasions 110F! That lasted for 3 months. That year we lost many old trees in the area. The drought seems to be over now with the arrival of El Niño, but I remember when used to going to church part of weekly mass offering was "for the rain for this parched land". The city restricts water use during drought as well. This is when I decided to start converting my garden to native plants, or at least big bulk of them. I love the colors and textures of different flowers and lately starting to appreciate plants for the foliage so endless possibilities. My garden is a collection of different specimens. It's not a "theme garden" nor does it have color scheme. I just enjoy all of my plants and always look for new ones. Trips to different nurseries are my favorite pastime away from home. It feeds my soul:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
This is what my fiance says too; he seems to do a lot of gardening research so I trust him... so far. XD My first thought with the pots was air plants (Tillandsia) or something of the sort.

Up all night studying again and thank goodness for a Tortoise Forum break. This last course really blows!!! :mad: Grr, just gimme my diploma so I can get back to tortoise gardening!
Good luck with that. What's your area of study?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Maybe so but in my are to be able to keep ANYTHING alive through our summer heat I'd have to be out there watering in am, noon and probably again late afternoon. Our temps at times reach triple digits. Had one summer here that average temp was 100F and on many occasions 110F! That lasted for 3 months. That year we lost many old trees in the area. The drought seems to be over now with the arrival of El Niño, but I remember when used to going to church part of weekly mass offering was "for the rain for this parched land". The city restricts water use during drought as well. This is when I decided to start converting my garden to native plants, or at least big bulk of them. I love the colors and textures of different flowers and lately starting to appreciate plants for the foliage so endless possibilities. My garden is a collection of different specimens. It's not a "theme garden" nor does it have color scheme. I just enjoy all of my plants and always look for new ones. Trips to different nurseries are my favorite pastime away from home. It feeds my soul:)
People have themed gardens?! :eek: Maybe ours has a native theme then too. We have spent a lot of time researching natives for our landscaping before diving right in with something else. The front yard is mostly empty so adding a native butterfly garden will add lots of color. I enjoy the purples, oranges, and reds. We have a few oddball non-natives just to mix it up too; I love my Iceland poppy. :D I love your idea for trips. We just did a weekend trip to the native plant nursery near the state capital. That's correct, we planned our mini vacation around the trip to a nursery... we are such nerds! ;)
Good luck with that. What's your area of study?
One semester away from my master's in library and information science! I actually walked for commencement already because I should graduate in the summer, and they let you choose that ceremony or the December one. This class is on research methodology; I wish my native tortoise plant list could exempt me from it! :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan