Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
View attachment 174750 View attachment 174751 View attachment 174752 View attachment 174753 Looks like the end of my Iris and Tulips, that white is my balloon plant, too cool
I've seen lavender and pink balloon flowers, never seen them in white. Very pretty! And that iris!!! Ahhh! Almost black... None of mine are that color. I do have a little hybrid rose similar to yours. Is that Japanese Maple tree? I love those! Planted one 20 yrs ago when we first moved into this house and I was a very much novice gardener. Didn't know didly about different soil, sun/shade, water requirements of different plants. My poor little Maple struggled for couple of years getting scorched by sun and beat up by crosswinds. It was planted in worst possible spot for shade loving delicate ornamental tree. I tried to move it to a quiet spot of the garden with afternoon shade but the roots didn't like the trauma of being dug up. I haven't seen them sold in 1 gal pots since then:( Maggie yours is gorgeous! You must have it in ideal spot where it likes to grow. They are so.... zen

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looky no spines.Picture 471 copy.jpg Picture 474 copy.jpg I have been looking for this for years, an opuntia that is spine-less and able to survive our cold wet winters with no special care. It also has some size to it, the large pad in the pic is 12 inches. The only downfall is it grows like humifusa. I've kept it outside in pots and planted in the ground for 2 winters and haven't lost any yet

M

Maggie Cummings

Looky no spines.View attachment 174914 View attachment 174913 I have been looking for this for years, an opuntia that is spine-less and able to survive our cold wet winters with no special care. It also has some size to it, the large pad in the pic is 12 inches. The only downfall is it grows like humifusa. I've kept it outside in pots and planted in the ground for 2 winters and haven't lost any yet

If you decide to pass out any pads, I'd be glad to buy one. My optunia all have spines and must be in pots so I can move them out of the rain or snow.......

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Sure, I just need the shipping cost reimbursed and an address to send it to. No charge for the pads.
No spines at all??? Even tiny glochods in those "pimples"???? I have a spineless, it looks and is called that. Before I knew better I tried to handle it with bare hands... Omg!!!! Glochids hurt!!! Anyway, if you do have surplus of more mature pads I'd love to take some off your hands and will cover cost of shipping of yourchoice beforehand. You just let me know the approximate weight and company that's convenient for you to use, and I send you a check, then you cash the check and ship my cactus:) what do you think?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
No spines at all??? Even tiny glochods in those "pimples"???? I have a spineless, it looks and is called that. Before I knew better I tried to handle it with bare hands... Omg!!!! Glochids hurt!!! Anyway, if you do have surplus of more mature pads I'd love to take some off your hands and will cover cost of shipping of yourchoice beforehand. You just let me know the approximate weight and company that's convenient for you to use, and I send you a check, then you cash the check and ship my cactus:) what do you think?
Spineless cactus. It's a precious commodity around here! :D That is a lovely cactus photo, @Turtulas-Len!
Wonderful! Those blooms can really make a yard shine! :) It looks like a nice place to hang out.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
some new blooms for spring 2016 already ........

and one of my favo Hibiscus .....

Here is a big "spineless" (to the right).....btw they do have spines on the young growth...as the cactus (pad's) matures the tiny spines fall off.
Very cool!! I love it. I'll have to show your photos to my hubby. :) I just love the hibiscus colors! Is that a cactus flower in the first photo? Nicely done!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very cool!! I love it. I'll have to show your photos to my hubby. :) I just love the hibiscus colors! Is that a cactus flower in the first photo? Nicely done!

It is actually called an Epiphyllum or Epi's for short……Both of my Grandparents (passed) are very well known in these and have their own Hybrids and patents’ on them……I guess where I got my green thumbs.;):D

When others bloom I will share. There is one that is named actually after my grandmother’s full name …as well which I think is neat.:)

Prairie Mom

It is actually called an Epiphyllum or Epi's for short……Both of my Grandparents (passed) are very well known in these and have their own Hybrids and patents’ on them……I guess where I got my green thumbs.;):D

When others bloom I will share. There is one that is named actually after my grandmother’s full name …as well which I think is neat.:)
It doesn't get much cooler than this! Definitely makes your garden even more meaningful!

Prairie Mom

some new blooms for spring 2016 already ........

and one of my favo Hibiscus .....

Here is a big "spineless" (to the right).....btw they do have spines on the young growth...as the cactus (pad's) matures the tiny spines fall off.
Some of those blooms look so incredible, you would think they were photoshopped to get those colors!

Prairie Mom

I'm still working on this year's vegetable gardens (I'm not late or anything, it's still been surprisingly cold at night). I'm doing so much home construction that I'm choosing to neglect my flower beds that are going to be in serious need next year, but will definitely take all the nearly free food I can plant.:) I'm planting a few things I've never grown before. I'm growing Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and some greens like Pak choi that I've never grown before. Some of these have a long growing season, so I'm curious how they'll do in my climate.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Oh... I totally believe you! I've followed all of your garden photo postings:D
Plus ......my new camera Kicks Azzzzzzz.....Only took me 4 different kinds ~ Buy and return till I found one that shoots very good shots , easy to use and fun to share that fits my needs ...:)

Sorta like my first few marriages' ........<giggle>..... <~....just kidding ....:p

(second post of pics was from old camera ......can't wait till other new blooms arrive.)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The jealousy! I need a backyard so i can really get my gardening on. My daylilies i got from a neighbor stopped yellowing so quick (i think so anyway)
Ill be pretty disappointed if they die. But theyre suppose to be hardy plants so we'll see

Prairie Mom

Plus ......my new camera Kicks Azzzzzzz.....Only took me 4 different kinds ~ Buy and return till I found one that shoots very good shots , easy to use and fun to share that fits my needs ...:)

Sorta like my first few marriages' ........<giggle>..... <~....just kidding ....:p

(second post of pics was from old camera ......can't wait till other new blooms arrive.)
I'm holding so much back!!! :D --The whole "easy to use and fun to share" ...oh man!!!!

I'm jealous of your awesome camera. I always have crummy cheapo ones, because I can never keep little hands off!

Prairie Mom

The jealousy! I need a backyard so i can really get my gardening on. My daylilies i got from a neighbor stopped yellowing so quick (i think so anyway)
Ill be pretty disappointed if they die. But theyre suppose to be hardy plants so we'll see
What do you mean they stopped 'yellowing'?

Also, I don't think you need a big back yard. Some of my favorite gardens have been made by people who used their creativity and did awesome things with what they had.:)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
What do you mean they stopped 'yellowing'?

Also, I don't think you need a big back yard. Some of my favorite gardens have been made by people who used their creativity and did awesome things with what they had.:)
The tips were yellow when i got them, and some leaves. Then i snipped them and they got yellow again, but now its not so much ? And theyre not limp. I assume it was from being out of the ground for a day and the transfer.
I just want a garden for more plants. Lol my balcony is getting crowded. I had to take some plants to my moms.
Waiting for my boyfriend to get back in 3 weeks so we can get those planter boxes you can hang off your window or balcony.