Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I can promise you their not photo-shopped..........

Some Blooms from last year ......

Like Plumerias?:rolleyes:

I just love all your plants! :) I'll have to check out more of your threads soon!

I posted some more tort garden photos! :p http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...nclosure-and-garden.92343/page-8#post-1329875

Also, I have a question for the gardening experts here. What's the deal with my hollyhock flowers? Is there a fungus attacking the leaves? There are these little brown spheres attaching themselves to the leaves and it doesn't look good. The photo below has not fully progressed but I have some others just covered in this. Let me know if I should remove the leaves or the whole plant. The bigger hollyhock in the back even has this growth on the stem so I don't know if it'll make it.

odd.jpg odd2.jpg

Let me know if I should get some better photos. I don't have the best camera. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I just love all your plants! :) I'll have to check out more of your threads soon!

I posted some more tort garden photos! :p http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...nclosure-and-garden.92343/page-8#post-1329875

Also, I have a question for the gardening experts here. What's the deal with my hollyhock flowers? Is there a fungus attacking the leaves? There are these little brown spheres attaching themselves to the leaves and it doesn't look good. The photo below has not fully progressed but I have some others just covered in this. Let me know if I should remove the leaves or the whole plant. The bigger hollyhock in the back even has this growth on the stem so I don't know if it'll make it.

View attachment 175496 View attachment 175497

Let me know if I should get some better photos. I don't have the best camera. :rolleyes:
I've got to run now, will check back in tonight. Just wanted to say that mine (hollyhocks) have never been perfect either, but I thought it was just the Texas heat and pretty bad soil... What's your weather been like? Lots of rain like we've had over here?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess hollyhock is pretty tasty to bugs as well as tortoises, because my hollyhock leaves are being eaten too. I've not been able to discover my culprit. Yours looks like some sort of scale insect. Can you pick off one of those browns spots with a fingernail? Then squish it and see if its a bug.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I've seen something similar (mimosa) only it has pink flowers. This is really pretty. Do you know what it is?
Sure! It's Royal Poinciana in South Florida. It's a large tree (think bigger than mimosa) and those striking blooms which last for 4-6 wks around this time of the year. The closest thing to it that I have found here in Texas is Pride of Barbados m, but that's a bush, and flowers are not as dense as on poinciana tree. Drive down hwy US 1 from South Miami all the way down to Key West is magical at this time of year with poinciana trees all over. I just love them, and wanted to share

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That poinciana is just breathtaking! I Googled it and WOW!! I'd love to have one.

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
That poinciana is just breathtaking! I Googled it and WOW!! I'd love to have one.
Yeah me too! Unfortunately subtropics only. Unless they hybridize some cold hardy variety. Don't feel bad! You have the lilacs! Apple tree blossoms... Gorgeous peonies, hydrangeas, tulips, rhododendrons....Ahhhh...!...
In Texas I'm in between, don't get either, it's too hot for the continental climate trees/plants, and the couple of days below freezing gets the tropicals...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
View attachment 175641poinciana flowers closer up View attachment 175642 and here: View attachment 175643 is her close "shrub relative" that I grow in my garden Pride of Barbados. It has more yellow/orange and differently structured flower branch
Oh my, those are some crazy flowers!!
My hollihocks get a rusty spot look, but they are from these little bugs which suck the juice.
Thanks for the input, guys! :) So as long as it's OK to keep feeding to my tortoise, I'll leave it in the garden.

First mini rose has bloomed this year. They make great tortoise treats.
first_rose.jpg

Opuntia is really growing this first year in the ground!
cactus.jpg

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

The tips were yellow when i got them, and some leaves. Then i snipped them and they got yellow again, but now its not so much ? And theyre not limp. I assume it was from being out of the ground for a day and the transfer.
I just want a garden for more plants. Lol my balcony is getting crowded. I had to take some plants to my moms.
Waiting for my boyfriend to get back in 3 weeks so we can get those planter boxes you can hang off your window or balcony.
Okay! Now I'm dying to see your balcony! Photos PLEASE!!!:D

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Okay! Now I'm dying to see your balcony! Photos PLEASE!!!:D
Haha right now its just a bunch of pots with little sprouts. Im about to move my last daylily pot to my moms. The ones at her house have full sunlight and some have begun to grow stems with little flower sprouts. The one on my balcony gets sun for a few hours so its still just leaves.
Promise ill post some when the flowers are a little bigger and we get the window box

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looky no spines.View attachment 174914 View attachment 174913 I have been looking for this for years, an opuntia that is spine-less and able to survive our cold wet winters with no special care. It also has some size to it, the large pad in the pic is 12 inches. The only downfall is it grows like humifusa. I've kept it outside in pots and planted in the ground for 2 winters and haven't lost any yet
I found that these plants stand back up really good after it gets warm. This is the same plant in both pics. taken about a week and half apart.Picture 538 copycacstandup.jpg