Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Prairie Mom

Thanks! We are in the process of trapping gophers. The traps work great! My gardener show us how. It's hard having so much land because so many vermit are running around!
Oh I know allllllllll about those vermin. Learned the hard way. I went from, "Oh I love all the cute and fuzzy creatures of nature running around me..." to "Damn!!! They killed another tree/plant/garden bed/etc... THIS MEANS WAR!!!" in pretty short order.

So you've discovered the inescapable killing power of "The Black Box"? Works like a charm. Fills my freezer and makes for happy, well fed carnivores.

small chz on my lap.jpg
<<<And Prairie Mom can be seen across the internet huddled in a corner, rocking a squirrel and whispering: "shhhh...it's okay, baby...they're not talking about you...it's gonna be o-kay." >>>> --ha ha ha :D couldn't resist

Prairie Mom

I planted some pumkin seeds in Nov and they are growing in nicely. Just a few leaves on each vine. I think Tom is right about our freezing nights. Although these vines weren't hurt at all with no special care. If anything the rabbits will find them.

I would love to plant a big mullberry tree. I need to see how fast they grow. Our lots are 2 acres and our neighbors cut down trees for 3 weeks and now we see the side of there home that isn't so nice. Plus, they can see up into our yard. I could have food for torts and privacy.
I've been growing pumpkin seeds that I saved from my pumpkins last year under grow lights for my sulcata this winter. (Nothing can grow where I am). I've just started a second batch for her and some that I hope to grow big to be planted after my frost date:)

Prairie Mom

We haven't had our sulcata very long and I've been looking up EVERYTHING in my back yard to make sure it is safe for her. I may even make a post about it in the Diet section.

What do you guys know about DayLily and tortoises?? (@Jacqui ?)
Of course, the flowers are edible, heard that the leaves can only be eaten sparingly, but that the rhizomes are poisonous. Am I going to have to dig up all my daylilies, so Mavis doesn't get to the roots. It's hard for me to imagine her doing this when there are so many other yummy things around...?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just looked up Lavatera, it's really pretty!

Its in the malva/hibiscus family. Good food, both the leaves and flowers. I like it because it survives well in my harsh environment and provides good shade and cover in a tortoise pen as well as free food. I use it in my russian pens, but I feed the blooms and leaves to all my tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We haven't had our sulcata very long and I've been looking up EVERYTHING in my back yard to make sure it is safe for her. I may even make a post about it in the Diet section.

There is an app called Garden Compass. Its so easy. You click open the app, take a pic of your weed or plant or tree or plant problem, add any text or questions and send off an email. Within an hour or two they get back to you with the scientific name of the weed. Its really pretty cool. Once you get the name you can look it up and learn more about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
<<<And Prairie Mom can be seen across the internet huddled in a corner, rocking a squirrel and whispering: "shhhh...it's okay, baby...they're not talking about you...it's gonna be o-kay." >>>> --ha ha ha :D couldn't resist

I don't mind the tree squirrels. They aren't so bad. I like having animals around that don't cause me problems and destroy my efforts.

Don't worry Prairie Mom. I won't bother your squirrel. Just keep him off my mulberry tree roots. :)

Prairie Mom

I don't mind the tree squirrels. They aren't so bad. I like having animals around that don't cause me problems and destroy my efforts.

Don't worry Prairie Mom. I won't bother your squirrel. Just keep him off my mulberry tree roots. :)
ha ha ha:D ...I'm always looking for an excuse to show off animals or kids. Eventually, I'll just make up my own excuses and will pretend to not notice as everyone gets bored with me! I don't have any gophers here. We get prairie dogs and ground squirrels that can be quite challenging. I'll be sure to pass on your warning to our resident tree squirrel. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

What do you guys know about DayLily and tortoises?? (@Jacqui ?)
Of course, the flowers are edible, heard that the leaves can only be eaten sparingly, but that the rhizomes are poisonous. Am I going to have to dig up all my daylilies, so Mavis doesn't get to the roots. It's hard for me to imagine her doing this when there are so many other yummy things around...?

They don't seem to be, but then I have not saw a tortoise digging them up yet. Iris are the same way, but years back I had a springer who ate them and a bunch of bareroot roses with no problems. I think that is one of those things based more upon humans and the like, not tortoises. If the enclosure was barren, perhaps then starvation would drive them to trying them, but I really doubt even then. I have them in every enclosure I have.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you able to do anything with the prairie dogs? In many locations they are protected.

Prairie Mom

Are you able to do anything with the prairie dogs? In many locations they are protected.
The Prairie dogs aren't really bothering us. But they hang out in a yard a few doors down. She doesn't garden, so she doesn't mind them. From what I can tell, they really seem to prefer "wilder" weedier/clay-sandy areas. I'm not sure if they are protected here. I've seen the maintenance people at my husband's work be pretty brutal with some of the ground squirrels in broad daylight, which are in the same family, but definitely not protected. I regularly hear people complaining about them ruining their landscaping etc. People also have major complaints about the tree squirrels stealing fruit and veg. They're all really cute to look at.

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

They don't seem to be, but then I have not saw a tortoise digging them up yet. Iris are the same way, but years back I had a springer who ate them and a bunch of bareroot roses with no problems. I think that is one of those things based more upon humans and the like, not tortoises. If the enclosure was barren, perhaps then starvation would drive them to trying them, but I really doubt even then. I have them in every enclosure I have.
About day lilies:

Day lilies are edible, however, the Japanese lilies are toxic. Theres a way to tell the difference, but I wasn't paying attention when Maggie covered that in her lecture, so I can't tell you.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/day-lily/
Thank you Yvonne and Jacqui! Jacqui, I remember your crazy springer Iris story--lucky dog with the iron stomach! I knew oriental lilies were poisonous, but came across something that warned against the rhizomes of Daylilies, so I worried a bit about Mavis digging them up when she's bigger. I like where I have them planted, but obviously love my tortoise more:) I'll keep the Daylilies where they are. It sounds like I shouldn't expect any trouble. Thanks!

Prairie Mom

Hearing @Tom and @Momof4 talk about their Gopher battles reminded me of a book my book group read a while ago and I thought I'd mention it to you folk who love to be outside...
64 dollar tomato.png

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden by William Alexander. He has some pretty lively animal battles in the book among many other things. He's a pretty funny author, but you spend most of the book wanting to strangle him for being so impractical. --I'll admit wanting to strangle him throughout the book was half the fun:) and we had some really funny discussions about the book. It's surprisingly amusing and sarcastic for a book about gardening for anyone who may be interested.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Hearing @Tom and @Momof4 talk about their Gopher battles reminded me of a book my book group read a while ago and I thought I'd mention it to you folk who love to be outside...
View attachment 115068

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden by William Alexander. He has some pretty lively animal battles in the book among many other things. He's a pretty funny author, but you spend most of the book wanting to strangle him for being so impractical. --I'll admit wanting to strangle him throughout the book was half the fun:) and we had some really funny discussions about the book. It's surprisingly amusing and sarcastic for a book about gardening for anyone who may be interested.

Thanks for sharing! I need a new book to read, it's been to long since I read.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I dug up a few day lilies for the enclosure that were never going to survive because my dogs trample them. The reds are not really destructive but they did nibble one down to the ground. I'm getting Tom's app because I have a few questionable weeds I would love to feed.

Prairie Mom

Hey:) So, I actually emailed "The Tortoise Table." http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

I was not finding any info whatsoever on the variety of huckleberry I just got ("Mountain Blue Huckleberry. Vaccinium Membranaceum"). I'm really hoping to put the bushes in the back yard where my kids can have access to them and not confuse them with any of the dangerous fruiting bushes out front, but that also means during portions of the day, Mavis the Sulcata will have access to them as well. Obviously, no berries for her, but I couldn't find anything about the leaves. ...Well, apparently there isn't a whole lot out their on them. Even the tortoise table people didn't have much info to pull from and they openly admitted to being a bit stumped and would keep me informed as they found more info.

We settled on this cautious statement...

Portion of an email sent to me: "Your variety of Huckleberry seems to be one of the most common and best used for fruit and as you know that tortoises (with the exception of tropical tortoises) are not equipped to eat fruit which is why you were asking about the leaves. Although I don’t think the Vaccinium Membranaceum is toxic as through my research it appears to be okay but most of that is geared towards human. I have found that bears and deer will eat the leaves, bark and root of your plant but it is from the family Ericaceae where out of the 6 we have listed in the database only one we have as edible. So on the strength of that I would say that although I think it would be fine I would only allow a nibble here and there and not allow it to be part of a daily diet for your tortoise."
-------
But I have to tell you guys that I was really impressed with how friendly and fast they were getting back to me (especially since I believe they are British-based). We emailed back and forth a few times about the subject to pin down the exact variety etc and they were so friendly and personable, eager to address me by first name, give quick responses, and they were apologetic for not having better info. I know I've sometimes joked about the Tortoise Table, but what a nice little group of people!!!! So friendly and willing to help! Anyway, just had to share:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I ordered some seeds for my tortoise garden and they came in today...collard, endive, okra, butter lettuce and turnips. So my construction project and fire wood projects are on hold until I get the seeds planted.

I did a yard inspection today, middle of winter, and the lady had two raised beds with veggies and greens in them. I was surprised to see that she was growing a winter garden. I had no idea that sort of stuff would stay alive during the winter.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Quite a few of the root crops especially work for the winter. Did she have them mulched or covered at all?