Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know this is probably not unique, but I have never seen it before, so it's unique to my mind. This is an Oklahoma red bud tree blooming now:

blossoms a.jpgblossoms b.jpgblossoms c.jpg

I've never seen blossoms on the trunk of the tree before. It's very strange to me.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I know this is probably not unique, but I have never seen it before, so it's unique to my mind. This is an Oklahoma red bud tree blooming now:

View attachment 368544View attachment 368545View attachment 368546

I've never seen blossoms on the trunk of the tree before. It's very strange to me.
Neat! I haven't seen them on the trunk of the tree either. We have two younger redbuds (Cercis canadensis) that have grown quite a bit in the past couple years. I'm hoping for some good blooms this spring. I'll try to get a photo if I remember.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA

View attachment 368544View attachment 368545View attachment 368546

Wow Yvonne, what a beautiful bloom! The color is gorgeous. I wonder if I can grow that here in zone 9? Living in the high desert definitely has its perks but I find it is very difficult to grow plants and trees. One major reason being the little turds who come along and eat everything, Doesn't matter how well I protect it with tree ring fencing, pot it so it is up off the ground, the little critters (Mice etc) manage to find it and eat every last bit of it.

A great photograph, that bloom on the trunk is incredible, never seen anything like it before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow Yvonne, what a beautiful bloom! The color is gorgeous. I wonder if I can grow that here in zone 9? Living in the high desert definitely has its perks but I find it is very difficult to grow plants and trees. One major reason being the little turds who come along and eat everything, Doesn't matter how well I protect it with tree ring fencing, pot it so it is up off the ground, the little critters (Mice etc) manage to find it and eat every last bit of it.

A great photograph, that bloom on the trunk is incredible, never seen anything like it before.
You're in zone 9? So am I! I imagine if you buy a five gallon tree it would have a better chance of withstanding the munchers.

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
You're in zone 9? So am I! I imagine if you buy a five gallon tree it would have a better chance of withstanding the munchers.
That is crazy, I didn't think zone 9 would be all the way up there. Temperatures are similar within 10 degrees but you have much more humidity than we do. I will have to try that with the larger tree. We also have to worry about the gophers that eat the roots down below. I have to wrap the root ball with chicken wire to stop them. Now that we are finally moved in, the fun really begins!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is a plant called a Hoya...my sister and I both keep them, they grow in Australia and Hawaii, and Clovis and Corvallis...lol...These plants are hanging in the skylight in my living room....there is a Pothos also...but this 1 Hoya has 3 freakin blooms on it!!! My sister's bloom for her all the time...but there really isn't enuf sun to bring out the blooms here...I guess this plant likes where it's at...DSCN2542.JPGDSCN2541.JPGDSCN2537.JPG
Yes Jeff...those are Christmas lights in March, and I don't ever make my bed...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Several years ago I either planted Moringa seeds or had a small potted Moringa (old age doesn't allow me to bring the memory to the forefront). It got too big for its pot, so when my tortoise partner set up a greenhouse in my backyard for the Radiata I planted the little Moringa in the ground in the greenhouse.

After living in there for a few years, and being topped a couple times to keep it off the ceiling, here's what it looks like this a.m.:
Moringa 3-24 a.jpgmoringa 3-24 b.jpgmoringa 3-24 c.jpgmoringa 3-24 d.jpg

It's too bad the camera focussed on the further branches insead of the flower I was trying to show you. It's a real pretty little thing. This is the first year the tree bloomed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have any of you gardeners out there ever used the baking soda/vinegar recipe for killing weeds? I'd like to know how well it works. I have a whole bunch of Bermuda grass that has invaded the banks of my pond. I can't Round-Up it because of the turtles, so I'm thinking baking soda. Another question - the recipe calls for 1 part baking soda to 2 parts white vinegar. How do I change dry measurement (baking soda) to equal the wet measurement (vinegar)?

I've been strimmering the grass down to the ground and later this afternoon I'm going to spray the ecological friendly weed killer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep planting tomatoes from Home Depot and they keep dying. I don't know if it's too much sun. Too much rain, whatever.
However, I keep finding tomato plants growing in my tortoises enclosures.....totally random. By seeds squirting out of small tomatoes that I feed my Redfoot. Usually I rip them out because the leaves are poisonous. But this time I planted one in a pot. Including the root ball and the soil it was growing in. And I got this....22 tomatoes growing at one time.
I have no idea what type of tomatoes these are, but clearly they are a type with an incredible yield!

Attachments

• 20240407_153537.jpg
    20240407_153537.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep planting tomatoes from Home Depot and they keep dying. I don't know if it's too much sun. Too much rain, whatever.
However, I keep finding tomato plants growing in my tortoises enclosures.....totally random. By seeds squirting out of small tomatoes that I feed my Redfoot. Usually I rip them out because the leaves are poisonous. But this time I planted one in a pot. Including the root ball and the soil it was growing in. And I got this....22 tomatoes growing at one time.
I have no idea what type of tomatoes these are, but clearly they are a type with an incredible yield!
We've always been told tomato plants are toxic, but, surprise, surprise, they're not!, just bitter.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We've always been told tomato plants are toxic, but, surprise, surprise, they're not!, just bitter.
Is that so?
It'd be great to just leave them alone.
I get about one every 2 months out there. And they grow very well. They'd just need to be staked because they fall over

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that so?
It'd be great to just leave them alone.
I get about one every 2 months out there. And they grow very well. They'd just need to be staked because they fall over
They're more than likely cherry tomatoes.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Have any of you gardeners out there ever used the baking soda/vinegar recipe for killing weeds? I'd like to know how well it works. I have a whole bunch of Bermuda grass that has invaded the banks of my pond. I can't Round-Up it because of the turtles, so I'm thinking baking soda. Another question - the recipe calls for 1 part baking soda to 2 parts white vinegar. How do I change dry measurement (baking soda) to equal the wet measurement (vinegar)?

I've been strimmering the grass down to the ground and later this afternoon I'm going to spray the ecological friendly weed killer.
I tried vinegar but it didn't work well. You know what worked well? Boiling water.

I think when measuring baking soda and vinegar, a cup of baking soda would equal a cup of vinegar.