Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Len have you found a way to keep cactus? For a period of time after picking?
It depends on the type of cactus that you are working with and how long you are going to store it. Most pads will stay fresh if they are laid flat and not touching each other in a cool shaded area for a very long time. I did a test years ago and stacked some pads on top of each other separated by newspaper and they lasted for a couple months. What I grow is different than what you have been growing. Mine are all cold tolerant well below freezing so I have no problem with storage. Here's an example. Years ago in late October I stopped at BBT bank that had cactus growing out front and asked if I could have a few pads. I brought 3 pads home like this one KIMG3507.JPGknowing that it was to late to plant. I just laid them on the ground and left them alone all winter. Planted them the next spring and have done great since.KIMG3504.JPGIt took me a while to figure out the best way to save and store all the ripe fruits from all the different types of cactus I have for winter feeding. I used to just break them off the pads using hotdog tongs nilly willy. By doing it that way many would tear off the pad breaking the pad at the base. Which is why they wouldn't last as long as I wanted them to. Now I remove them more carefully and if need be I'll cut it off using a sharp knife saving the integrity of the pad. I just store the fruit in nursery pots and they last until they are all fed off. I usually get around 1000 or more from all the plants.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It depends on the type of cactus that you are working with and how long you are going to store it. Most pads will stay fresh if they are laid flat and not touching each other in a cool shaded area for a very long time. I did a test years ago and stacked some pads on top of each other separated by newspaper and they lasted for a couple months. What I grow is different than what you have been growing. Mine are all cold tolerant well below freezing so I have no problem with storage. Here's an example. Years ago in late October I stopped at BBT bank that had cactus growing out front and asked if I could have a few pads. I brought 3 pads home like this one View attachment 373568knowing that it was to late to plant. I just laid them on the ground and left them alone all winter. Planted them the next spring and have done great since.View attachment 373567It took me a while to figure out the best way to save and store all the ripe fruits from all the different types of cactus I have for winter feeding. I used to just break them off the pads using hotdog tongs nilly willy. By doing it that way many would tear off the pad breaking the pad at the base. Which is why they wouldn't last as long as I wanted them to. Now I remove them more carefully and if need be I'll cut it off using a sharp knife saving the integrity of the pad. I just store the fruit in nursery pots and they last until they are all fed off. I usually get around 1000 or more from all the plants.
Thanks I guess it is time to experiment different ways to store. Just about every pad you gave me. Is starting to grow. Either small flower buds or new pads. I will be gone for 6 weeks in Michigan. I can't wait to see what the pads,mulberry tree and ROS look like when I get back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cactus tortoise eats a.jpg

Nice cactus, right? William gave me a pad several years ago and it has grown nicely. With the road widening, this plant, which used to be on the edge of my old driveway, is now in the desert tortoise yard. There is one full grown tortoise -

cactus tortoise eats b.jpg

and three young juveniles in this yard. Now to the other side of the plant:

cactus tortoise eats c.jpg

It's fun to watch her chow down on the pads. She even stands up on her tippy toes to reach higher up.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
View attachment 373683

Nice cactus, right? William gave me a pad several years ago and it has grown nicely. With the road widening, this plant, which used to be on the edge of my old driveway, is now in the desert tortoise yard. There is one full grown tortoise -

View attachment 373684

and three young juveniles in this yard. Now to the other side of the plant:

View attachment 373685

It's fun to watch her chow down on the pads. She even stands up on her tippy toes to reach higher up.
After 7 yrs growing up with the cactus in Opo's yard. He has decided to do this!😖😖
20240706_200453.jpg20240706_200429.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is a nice spineless cactus that's cold hardy that I've had a few years. It started growing in a pot. I like to let them grow in a pot keeping the root system above ground for at least one winter. If it survives in frozen soil it most likely will survive when planted. It's a fast grower with large pads and produces many large blooms and fruits.KIMG3519.JPGKIMG3520.JPGThe new pads measure 10 to 14 inches. It's proved itself to me so I'll start more plants with some of last year's pads.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
This is a nice spineless cactus that's cold hardy that I've had a few years. It started growing in a pot. I like to let them grow in a pot keeping the root system above ground for at least one winter. If it survives in frozen soil it most likely will survive when planted. It's a fast grower with large pads and produces many large blooms and fruits.View attachment 374142View attachment 374143The new pads measure 10 to 14 inches. It's proved itself to me so I'll start more plants with some of last year's pads.
I always enjoy seeing your cactus photos!

Yesterday, husband found a pretty big monarch caterpillar on a milkweed by our road, so I carefully moved it to a quieter spot in our yard. Hopefully he makes a chrysalis soon. I'm going to check on it today.

1721321230336.png

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yesterday, husband found a pretty big monarch caterpillar on a milkweed by our road, so I carefully moved it to a quieter spot in our yard. Hopefully he makes a chrysalis soon. I'm going to check on it today.

View attachment 374706
Couldn't find the caterpillar today but I did see a bunch of chomps removed from our milkweeds in the area. Also found some seedpods on our redbuds (which have grown a lot this year). More turkey food. :)

Redbuds seeds.jpg