Tortoise walked away outside-- any ideas to attract him back?

LisaLew

Location (City and/or State)
DFW Texas
Hi all,

Our Eastern Hermann's tortoise was outside with our other tortoise. I left him for 20 seconds to run the other tortoise back inside and when I got back he was gone!

He can walk very quickly and it's a hot day, so my best guess is that he wandered off and is under a brush somewhere sheltering from the sun. We looked for hours and had 15 neighbors helping. I feel horribly for leaving him at all and my kids are devastated.

Does anyone have ideas for how to attract him to come back? We put his enclosure outside with food in it and didn't know if there are any other ideas?

Thank you for any thoughts!

Larina
Hello, Larina. Did you find your Eastern Hermann's?

Anastasia 22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So interesting that your experience supports my theory. How do you know your boy was wild caught?

Same- Chip would rather walk than pick something up from the floor while our other is like a vacuum- I need it to be perfectly clean for him. I feel badly for Chip because he wants to be free (and was for a bit!), but we're trying our best to give him a lot of exercise, and overall he seems pretty happy. He eats a ton to support all his movement!
I bought my boy from the exotic reptile store. And the people there were a kind of honest. They said that got him from overseas. But they lied about his age though. His legs are really strong and his claws are really thick. He doesn't try to escape but he really likes to walk a lot. And he used to hiss all the time when I picked him up or touched him. The girl likes to be touched. She always stretches her neck so I could pet her head. Every time we are out she finds something that she wants to taste 😳 Snails, snake's skin, pieces of paper, dry leaves, clay, etc. Tank (my boy's name) is not interested in such kind of things. He smells his food forever before he takes a bite. And if he doesn't like it then he spits it out.
My Daisy (the girl's name) is from Petco and I believe someone had her for some quite time in a small tank. Her claws were very sharp and thin, and back legs were extremely weak so she couldn't lift her shell.