1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Gardening help

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Kyle gempler, Sep 29, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kyle gempler

Kyle gempler New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Arizona
    Hi,
    I know that the desert torts diet needs to be made up of mostly grasses but whenever I try to grow any wild flowers and wild grasses they die form the heat because in the summer where I live, 100+ degrees is the norm. Yet in the winter time they freeze and die. What do you recommend I do and what are the best types of grasses for them?

Thanks,
    Kyle
  2. Blackdog1714

Blackdog1714 Well-Known Member

Richmond, VA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I would try to provide shade for a good chunk of the day. I bet water is a precious commodity for you so go luck.
  3. maggie18fan

maggie18fan Active Member

Corvallis Oregon
    They also eat cactus, so you can grow them and grow other heat resistant grasses as well. Your big problem is lack of water. Your wild flowers and grasses still need water to set out roots. I grow Rose of Sharon bushes for their leaves and blooms, they live thru Oregon's freezing winters. I would do some research on the local wild stuff and while you are trying to grow in your weather and figure out the water situation, do like I do...buy some hay for back up and it makes good winter feed for them. I feed Sulcata and desert tortoises hay all winter as they are kept in their shed all winter. hope this helps