Gatsby Home

design

Location (City and/or State)
Port Huron, Michigan
I am nearing completion and have to say a BIG thanks to @Johnkoch for his box design and others for input. Please feel free to alert or ask me things I may have forgotten...!cid_094dec29-6b10-4e1f-a202-66d1d307004c@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpgAs you can see the load of lumber necessary for this size box.

!cid_dbf59fe1-9b06-47b9-93d7-089fbe8636d4@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
All panels are insulated in the middle and double plywood as well as sealed. This makes it very easy to keep heat and especially humidity constant in the enclosure. It also makes this very heavy.

!cid_7c04bf3a-3e31-49bd-b72c-81ad301a3bed@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
As you can see this box is going into a back room of my garage. You will see in the next picture I have an indoor play field and also an outdoor area he can freely move between.

!cid_dad83f1d-3237-4a13-972f-216e5730e3b6@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
This indoor area will connect to the night box and also connect to the outdoor access. As I was receiving the electronics and other item for the box I was putting them there for safe keeping.

!cid_7ab49578-5744-43b9-8556-88f461eec093@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
In this picture you can see the hide withing the night box. It has a Kane Heat Mat with temp controller. Above that is a Humidifier that is also on a humidity controller on/off. I am catching the condensation (thanks @Johnkoch ) for that great suggestion. Without the bin the condensation would just drip on the substrate and quickly mold will take hold I fear. On the shelf is my alert device made by LaCrosse Alert. See next picture...

!cid_886137b1-f97f-4590-8d91-534da31161be@namprd03_prod_outlook.png
This is similar, but way cheaper, to the temp stick. I have it in the box itself and I can set alerts that check high/low temp, high/low humidity, and it has a probe so I can put one in the actual hide itself if I want. It also sends an alert if it loses power for longer then whatever period of time I set. I still may add a wifi night vision camera I just have to check to see if it can withstand the conditions.

!cid_a1f6382e-9c19-418b-8c7b-725ecc399dbc@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
In this picture you can see my RHP as well as my UVB light. UVB is tube style mounted on roof. He will have plenty of light in his indoor play yard and in the summer he will have access to outside. UVB is on a simple timer and the RHP has it's own thermostat with shut off.

!cid_94efc470-4c5a-4bd0-9df3-d9b90ad27566@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
That insulation is not there any longer I went with a foam style that doesn't gap the closure. You can also see I am using gas shocks to help lift the top. I have 2 hundred pound shocks and I have to add a 3rd. Also this entire box is on castors so I can move it. Best idea ever!

!cid_1207cf01-ece6-4502-ba69-9868f45ff3c7@namprd03_prod_outlook.jpg
This was hastily done last night but I will tidy everything up. You can see the humidity and thermostat. What you cannot see is the Kane Mat controller as well as the light timer. Also there is a large battery back up (30 minute) so in case of short power outage I have time. I do not have the LaCrosse Alert on power back up because if the area loses power I want to get the alert BEFORE the back up goes out.

Questions:

#1. In the indoor play area I have a thermostat that does both heat and cool. I plan on using 4 CHE lamps and one fan. I plan to let the thermostat regulate the area. I know that CHE in general and unchecked could be dangerous to the carapace BUT with conjunction of a thermostat which will not allow the temperatures to get our of control do you think this would work?

#2. I plan to use Cyprus Mulch (plain) for the substrate. I looked for Orchid Bark but could only find it in small bags locally. I could not find the type of hay/grass people are using. What do you think of the mulch?

#3. There will be a hinged ramp with a lock so I can control his access and also make sure he gets into his home for night (still in the high 40's and low 50's here by the lake). Also be a hinged ramp from the indoor play yard to the outside fenced yard. How long do you think it will take for him to learn how to move between the 3?

Thanks
Joe

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Looking great Joe!!! I can tell you that my tortoise learned how to get out (by me setting him in front of the door) in a day and took him about 3 days to climb back in. I think it takes them a few days to get used to climbing up the ramp and the plastic air curtain that hangs in the door way but once they get it there in and out with no problems. I added a second ramp to the door ramp so it was easier for him to climb up and I also added some anti-slip tape to the ramp to make it easier for him to climb up and down (the first time he got on the ramp he just slid down like he was on ice). I got it from Amazon ($13.99) if you are interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DM4N7D/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Looking great Joe!!! I can tell you that my tortoise learned how to get out (by me setting him in front of the door) in a day and took him about 3 days to climb back in. I think it takes them a few days to get used to climbing up the ramp and the plastic air curtain that hangs in the door way but once they get it there in and out with no problems. I added a second ramp to the door ramp so it was easier for him to climb up and I also added some anti-slip tape to the ramp to make it easier for him to climb up and down (the first time he got on the ramp he just slid down like he was on ice). I got it from Amazon ($13.99) if you are interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DM4N7D/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Could not have done it without your input. I am going to buy the tape now. I think the only thing I did different was the temp stick. I bought one but it didn't have a strong enough wifi to get through the box. This new one has wifi but also a rj45 port so I ran cat 5e from the box to the wifi box itself (I have a repeater in the garage) and boom it work perfect. Have you tried a camera? I am not sure if one could stand the environment though?

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Could not have done it without your input. I am going to buy the tape now. I think the only thing I did different was the temp stick. I bought one but it didn't have a strong enough wifi to get through the box. This new one has wifi but also a rj45 port so I ran cat 5e from the box to the wifi box itself (I have a repeater in the garage) and boom it work perfect. Have you tried a camera? I am not sure if one could stand the environment though?
Sorry the Temp Stick didn't work for you but it sound like the alternative is working and that's all that matters. You know Joe it's funny you ask about the camera, I was definitely thinking about a camera. I was thinking about a couple different options but not sure which way to go, still doing some research. I was thinking about either a wireless camera, a wired camera or a baby monitor (all with night vision). I installed wireless cameras at a friends house and the problem was the video signal would drop out so I'm not sure if I want that. So I think I'll either installed a wired external camera (I think it can handle the humid condition) or a baby monitor (but not sure if it can handle the humidity). So I think it's going to be the wired external camera with night vision, now I have to find the best option. I couldn't find any Orchid Bark either so what I did was I mixed Orchard Grass Hay, Zoo Meds Repti Bark and Sphagnum Moss. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-premium-repti-bark-natural/dp/123790
https://www.chewy.com/oxbow-orchard-grass-hay-small-animal/dp/123639
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6AJKVG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Awesome job!

It took Vlad about a week to learn how to go up and down, in and out of his ramp and box, but his box setup is elevated 2 feet and has a 6 foot ramp, so it had a bit steeper learning curve [emoji16]

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Well Gatsby is enjoying his new home. Heat and humidity are perfect and on autoswitches. His hide has perfect heat and humidity. Lights on 12 off 12 for now. Had to add a CHE cause the RHP is too high off the floor to get it over 80 degrees. The CHE gets it to 95 with lid is closed.

What do you think @Johnkoch @Yvonne G @Tom

Attachments

• E03831F0-E08B-4ABB-9F6E-E96EBBBE4998.jpeg
    E03831F0-E08B-4ABB-9F6E-E96EBBBE4998.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • C1E34D59-9E1D-4FDF-B0E8-9D9201F9E5DF.jpeg
    C1E34D59-9E1D-4FDF-B0E8-9D9201F9E5DF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Well Gatsby is enjoying his new home. Heat and humidity are perfect and on autoswitches. His hide has perfect heat and humidity. Lights on 12 off 12 for now. Had to add a CHE cause the RHP is too high off the floor to get it over 80 degrees. The CHE gets it to 95 with lid is closed.

What do you think @Johnkoch @Yvonne G @Tom
Hey Joe, I think it looks great and it looks like Gatsby is loving it!!! Are you saying that the RHP is keeping the ambient temp at 80 degrees and you added the CHE so he would have a basking temp of 95 degrees? If that's the case then I think that's perfect. What I do with the CHE (not sure if this is the best practice but it's what I do) is measure how tall the tortoise is, stack wood to that height, place it under the CHE and adjust the CHE height so the temp on the wood is between 95-100 degrees. In my mind, that way the temp is not so hot that it burns the top of his shell. If I'm wrong or there is a better way of doing it then please someone else correct/inform me (as this will not only help Joe but will help me as well). It's been so warm/hot here that none of my heating devices have come on since my build was complete. Though I did test my RHP and heat mat by setting both to 95 degrees and both put out some major heat. With that said I think you did an AWESOME job. I didn't see any pictures of your door, does it have a "air curtain" to limit how much cool/cold air gets into Gatsby's enclosure/house?

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Hey Joe, I think it looks great and it looks like Gatsby is loving it!!! Are you saying that the RHP is keeping the ambient temp at 80 degrees and you added the CHE so he would have a basking temp of 95 degrees? If that's the case then I think that's perfect. What I do with the CHE (not sure if this is the best practice but it's what I do) is measure how tall the tortoise is, stack wood to that height, place it under the CHE and adjust the CHE height so the temp on the wood is between 95-100 degrees. In my mind, that way the temp is not so hot that it burns the top of his shell. If I'm wrong or there is a better way of doing it then please someone else correct/inform me (as this will not only help Joe but will help me as well). It's been so warm/hot here that none of my heating devices have come on since my build was complete. Though I did test my RHP and heat mat by setting both to 95 degrees and both put out some major heat. With that said I think you did an AWESOME job. I didn't see any pictures of your door, does it have a "air curtain" to limit how much cool/cold air gets into Gatsby's enclosure/house?

The RHP is too far from the substrate to keep it hot enough. I think I can get 80 degrees only with it and that’s on a good day. I added the CHR to raise the enclosure temperature closer to 90-95 at substrate level but I am having a hard time getting to that temp. So I can either lower the CHE or I have to add an oil heater. I am going to store today to look at options but will probably buy one online.

I have a door and it looks great but I am not letting him use it yet. I wanted him to get used to the night box and I take him out for both soak and also graze time.

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
The RHP is too far from the substrate to keep it hot enough. I think I can get 80 degrees only with it and that’s on a good day. I added the CHR to raise the enclosure temperature closer to 90-95 at substrate level but I am having a hard time getting to that temp. So I can either lower the CHE or I have to add an oil heater. I am going to store today to look at options but will probably buy one online.

I have a door and it looks great but I am not letting him use it yet. I wanted him to get used to the night box and I take him out for both soak and also graze time.
If I'm not mistaken 80 degrees throughout the enclosure (ambient temp) and having one spot (basking area under the CHE) that's 95-100 degrees is alright. Others correct me if I'm wrong. Just out of curiosity, what wattage is the RHP?

design

Port Huron, Michigan
If I'm not mistaken 80 degrees throughout the enclosure (ambient temp) and having one spot (basking area under the CHE) that's 95-100 degrees is alright. Others correct me if I'm wrong. Just out of curiosity, what wattage is the RHP?

120 watt. I think it’s just too high up. The box is 41 inches tall inside. Gatsby was not going in his hide (very expensive lane mat there of course) so I just got done with his hour walk and I put him in it. He is exploring it now but really favors a corner. Does your tortoise favor any spots in his Night house?

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
120 watt. I think it’s just too high up. The box is 41 inches tall inside. Gatsby was not going in his hide (very expensive lane mat there of course) so I just got done with his hour walk and I put him in it. He is exploring it now but really favors a corner. Does your tortoise favor any spots in his Night house?
For the first week he went to the same spot, which was in a corner where there was substrate. In that spot he would move all the substrate down to the plywood. After that week he decided on a new spot which is on the Kane pet mat (in the corner) but yes it's always the same spot. He has peed on the pet mat but that doesn't stop him from going back to that same spot (I do clean it up but it's usually dried up when I get home). I have the heat mat set to 80 degrees so I know it's not coming on since the temp inside the enclosure is 89-90 degrees every night when I close it up so it can't be that it's warmer than the substrate (maybe cooler?). For what ever reason he does like the same spot. Do you have a small fan in the enclosure? Wondering if that would help move the hot air from the top down, just a thought.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
It's funny that I noticed a fan in yours and was wondering about it. I may try that. I have a hot/cold electronic shut off for the indoor play yard. It's hooked to 4 CHE's that hang from roof above the 10 x 6 "yard" that is right up against the night box. Also is a fan and the shut of monitors the temps and when too cold turns on the CHE and when too hot turns on the fan. I put in the range for each so they are not on together. It's pretty cool but I do not have it running yet since I want Gatsby to get used to the night box first before he ventures outside it.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Break through....Gatsby come out of his hide all on his own and was an eating machine today. I am at work so my wife sent me pictures. When I get home I take him out and soak for about 30 minutes or so and then he gets to walk and eat his grass and when he can find dandelions. He loves them the best but he doesn't get them a lot.

He is eating Bok Choy (he loves it) and I see they threw in some spring mix with romaine. He is just starting to eat Mazuri but I have to make a paste out of it and smear it on the greens or he will NOT touch it. He also took some bites off the Cuttle Bone. Question...how much/often should he eat the cuttle bone?Gatsby.jpg

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Break through....Gatsby come out of his hide all on his own and was an eating machine today. I am at work so my wife sent me pictures. When I get home I take him out and soak for about 30 minutes or so and then he gets to walk and eat his grass and when he can find dandelions. He loves them the best but he doesn't get them a lot.

He is eating Bok Choy (he loves it) and I see they threw in some spring mix with romaine. He is just starting to eat Mazuri but I have to make a paste out of it and smear it on the greens or he will NOT touch it. He also took some bites off the Cuttle Bone. Question...how much/often should he eat the cuttle bone?View attachment 243120
Oh yeah, once they figure it out there's no stopping them!! You might try to give him some Endive, mine loves it. It took Tito awhile to start eating the Mazuri but that's when I was feeding him the LS variety. I tried the original Mazuri tortoise pellets and what a difference, he loves them, not sure if you're feeding him the original pellets or the LS. I still soak the pellets before I give them to him. As far as the cuddle bone I just leave a piece setting out and he eats it when he wants to (might sit there for weeks before he'll take another bite out of it).

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Where do you get the Mazuri pellets? I have 2 kinds of food that came with him and neither actually say Mazuri on them. One was a huge ziploc bag and the food is larger but I think softer quicker when water added and the other is in a container that says Grassland Tortoise Food and it's smaller (not tiny) and more uniform and these are what I have been giving him for suppliment.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I ordered from mazuri.com - 25 pounds of the Tortoise Diet 5M21 was $39.20 shipped. It's going to last awhile, so I have it in food safe 5 gallon buckets.

It was only after feeding the classic 5M21 that Vlad would even try the LS variety. There's a huge difference apparently :D

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Where do you get the Mazuri pellets? I have 2 kinds of food that came with him and neither actually say Mazuri on them. One was a huge ziploc bag and the food is larger but I think softer quicker when water added and the other is in a container that says Grassland Tortoise Food and it's smaller (not tiny) and more uniform and these are what I have been giving him for suppliment.
I, like vladimir, order the 25 lb bag from Mazuri.com. I too divide it up but I us 1 gallon zip lock bags. I noticed that Mazuri discontinued the 1 lb bag so if you want to send your address to my inbox I will be glad to send you one of my bags (about 2 lbs) that way you can see if Gatsby likes it before you buy a 25 lb bag.
https://www.mazuri.com/tortoise.aspx

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Apparently I purchased Mazuri (my wife showed me we have a 5 pound bag of it) and I am going to make a mash out of it and put in his morning greens.

Gatsby eats when he wakes (I put it outside his hide and when I get home it’s gone)

He eats outside when he grazes when I get home in the afternoon.

He then eats in the early evening back in his box.

I am going to connect his box to his indoor play yard (@Johnkoch I just got the non slip for the ramp) this weekend and hope to see him use it.

Picture of Gatsby eating his evening greens.

Attachments

• 01689270-C109-4B7D-8D6A-5E0FCDFE4D35.jpeg
    01689270-C109-4B7D-8D6A-5E0FCDFE4D35.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Apparently I purchased Mazuri (my wife showed me we have a 5 pound bag of it) and I am going to make a mash out of it and put in his morning greens.

Gatsby eats when he wakes (I put it outside his hide and when I get home it’s gone)

He eats outside when he grazes when I get home in the afternoon.

He then eats in the early evening back in his box.

I am going to connect his box to his indoor play yard (@Johnkoch I just got the non slip for the ramp) this weekend and hope to see him use it.

Picture of Gatsby eating his evening greens.
It might take him a couple days but he will get the hang of it and the tape will definitely help. If you put him on the ramp before you put the tape on it you will see how he can't get his claws dug in. The first time it happened to Tito my wife could not stop laughing when he slid from the top of the ramp to the bottom. After the tape was installed he had no more issues.