The Great Gatsby

design

Location (City and/or State)
Port Huron, Michigan
Hello everyone. I am new to the forums (I have posted a few questions over the past few days) and fairly new to owning a Tortoise.

I am going to post pictures of mine with this post. I purchased mine (maybe misguided but I didn't find the forums until a few days ago) from an online breeder. There is some pyramiding and I have since made sure the humidity is where it should be. He came to me May 17th 2018 and he is very active. I do not know how old he is but he came to me around 5" and I am going to measure and take picture weight tonight for tomorrow. We named him Gatsby because we think he is great. I am working on a very large night enclosure and will have a yard as well very soon. I have changed the design many times as I read information here. Please feel free to correct anything I am doing wrong I appreciate all the years of experience.

I have been reading page after page after page of information and it's been great. I know that each individual tortoise is different and results may vary but I have a few questions...

1. Cuttle Bone? These are the bird kind of cuttle bones that people are talking about having with their torts? I have calcium power that I sprinkle 3 times a week but I have not seen cuttle bones in anyones pictures of habitats just the mention of their use. Could someone explain if mine needs this?

2. Water/Soak? I have read this a number of ways. Way number one is that they get all the water they need from the food they eat so there is no need. Way number two is that they get all the water they need in their food but you should soak them in warm water up to under their chin once a week (the frequency is always different), and finally way number three is that they should have a very shallow bowl (almost like a tray) of water in their habitat. Does this change with age?

Thanks for any input I will post more picture tomorrow with length and weight.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 66

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya I use a cuttlebone for mine. It's the same kind they use for birds. I've heard it's a good source of calcium for them and it helps with there beak. Just make sure you break off the hard backing on one side.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya they chew on it from time to time. From what I've heard its like a secondary source of calcium. I'm still learning so if I'm wrong anyone feel free to correct me.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also I keep a shallow water bowl in mines enclosure, like a terracotta planter dish, as well as give him soaks a few times a week. I'm not sure how much you should soakyour Sulcata though I'll let someone more experienced answer that for you.

daniellenc

Maryland
I soak almost daily, offer a shallow water bowl, feed him greens daily, and mist his cage twice a day. All three ensure optimal hydration and prevent pyramiding. I use cuttlebone and calcium powder just to be sure he is getting the calcium he needs.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
I soak almost daily, offer a shallow water bowl, feed him greens daily, and mist his cage twice a day. All three ensure optimal hydration and prevent pyramiding. I use cuttlebone and calcium powder just to be sure he is getting the calcium he needs.
I do mist for now (his new enclosure has a humidifier with electronic on/off sensor). How long do you soak yours? I will add a dish for water today.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I do mist for now (his new enclosure has a humidifier with electronic on/off sensor). How long do you soak yours? I will add a dish for water today.
Do read the information sheets that are stickies at the top of the thread. Sulcatas need a shallow water dish, daily soaking for at least 20 minutes and a humid, closed house. Others will be along soon with more advice. @Tom had the most experience and will definitely give you the very best advice.
Good luck and enjoy you beautiful tortoise [emoji4]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

I would definitely recommend getting a cuttlebone. It lets them get calcium whenever they need it.

Your tortoise definitely does need both soaks and a water bowl. I would recommend a 6 inch terra cotta saucer.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
D6FD5546-81F3-4845-B12D-3613ABF534BC.jpeg Ok I have soaked him for today. Cattle bone next. I am adding a picture of him outside. What do you think of his shell?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 241231 Ok I have soaked him for today. Cattle bone next. I am adding a picture of him outside. What do you think of his shell?
He was obviously started very dry. But with the right diet and care that pyramidding will become less obvious as he grows. He has a lot of growing to do yet... there's a 100lb+ bulldozer emerging there!

Read the care guides linked earlier and compare then with your setup.:)

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Finally got my scale (2nd one) and Gatsby is 499g for weight. I started giving him Collard Greens yesterday and he loves them. Of course he eats other things and mostly grass but the greens were his first.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
More progress on Gatsbys home along with a picture of his indoor yard. Both under construction. Also I put castors on my tort house. As heavy as it’s going to be I want to be able to move it if I need to access it.

Also a picture of him climbing out of his soak. He doesn’t like to soak but he tolerates it.

Attachments

• C95F6429-C367-44FB-895A-669BEEDDBF1C.jpeg
    C95F6429-C367-44FB-895A-669BEEDDBF1C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 9F6190AD-2A9A-45B1-89CB-8E5AE4A87330.jpeg
    9F6190AD-2A9A-45B1-89CB-8E5AE4A87330.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 2E3364EF-C52B-4AFC-83B2-EB7A55943B62.jpeg
    2E3364EF-C52B-4AFC-83B2-EB7A55943B62.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
More progress on Gatsbys home along with a picture of his indoor yard. Both under construction. Also I put castors on my tort house. As heavy as it’s going to be I want to be able to move it if I need to access it.

Also a picture of him climbing out of his soak. He doesn’t like to soak but he tolerates it.
Looking great. The soak will be best if its a container he can’t escape. I use an old drawer from a refridgerator. He needs to stay in the warm water about 30 minutes. Make sure the water stays warm.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Looking great. The soak will be best if its a container he can’t escape. I use an old drawer from a refridgerator. He needs to stay in the warm water about 30 minutes. Make sure the water stays warm.

Oh he soaks in a sink where he can’t escape. This was just for fun in hopes of him wanting to stay in since he LOVES being outside.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Gatsby had his first Bok Choy this morning and LOVED IT. He is definitely a grass grazer and enjoys the occasional dandelion but trying to vary his diet and this is a solid choice. He likes Collard Greens as well but Bok Choy seems to excite him.

BTW he still HATES soaks but seems to tolerate. His new enclosure is almost done and I will post more pics soon.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Gatsby has made such huge improvements since coming here near end of May. He really LOVES his soaks now and loves to poo in them. I actually think he laughs as he does it. He actually peed on my daughter who was holding him right before the soak.

He is a professional grazer and enjoys weeding with my wife in the flower beds.

He finally gets to see my Redfoot and Sri Lanken Star during grazing. Very well supervised and they have never been closer then a foot or two.

All enclosure doing great with nice humidity and a great hide. I think I may have over engineering and teched out the Sulcata box.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
Gatsby update. He is gaining about a half a pond a month recently and since I got him a few months ago he has gained over two inches in length. Enjoying warm grazing and anxiously and nervously awaiting the cold weather and see how his high tech box does in the cold. I have alternate plans if needed.