Generators

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hi everyone!! So we are experiencing an ice storm here and my power is out. I have the hot hands and smaller enclosures, etc to keep them warm for now, but does anyone know of any good generators that you plug in to charge and then use? I'm in an apartment so unfortunately I'm a bit limited ?

I'm hoping to be up and running soon and would like this for the future. I'm not doing this again. My power pretty much never goes out so I was a little prepared, but not fully...

Thanks everyone!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take a look at these Goal Zero “power stations”. They can be charged up from solar panels or your mains electricity or from your car battery. They have many sizes of power stations, the more you pay, the larger the storage and the longer your devices will run. Keep in mind that heating elements, like a CHE, suck up a lot of power.

➡️➡️ https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/goal-zero-yeti-200x/

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok thanks! Yea, I figured I would get one to power 1 of the rhp with are 120w, plus the thermostat for one enclosure and have smaller not see through enclosure inside there as well so both babies have heat. Does that sound doable? Or ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok thanks! Yea, I figured I would get one to power 1 of the rhp with are 120w, plus the thermostat for one enclosure and have smaller not see through enclosure inside there as well so both babies have heat. Does that sound doable? Or ok?

Yes. Do some digging around on their website. The nice thing about these “power stations” is that you can charge them up via normal power. When power goes off, you plug in and things work. The larger the power station, the longer you will have power.

And, they can be charged up via their solar panel connections too.

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you so much!!! It was only supposed to get cold lol not ice storm! Gotta love Oklahomas weather... if you ever come here, pack for everything! Lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yes, i saw the reporting of all of the ice and power outages.
Yea its crazy! My power pole right outside my window snapped in half and all the live wires are down... my coworker has been without power for 3 days and they told her she's low on the priority list. Not to mention we will have no trees with branches lol

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
They do make very small gas generators like this Honda which is one of the best and very quiet. They are designed for motor homes so they have to pretty quiet

Attachments

• 56037B9C-6DD3-40E3-861E-05910B3F2797.png
    56037B9C-6DD3-40E3-861E-05910B3F2797.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They do make very small gas generators like this Honda which is one of the best and very quiet. They are designed for motor homes so they have to pretty quiet
I was going to suggest this too. I use two different Honda generators and people on the film sets use them too. The Hondas are great and about as quiet as anything I've heard. You could run it out on the balcony maybe?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The Honda inverter generators are some of the best you can get.
They are sine wave generators. Safe for sensitive electronics.
Even if small size, silence and everything isn't important and you need a generator regularly like here in hurricane central. Anything with a Honda engine is worth the extra few bucks.
And generators with Honda engines usually aren't attached to crappy gen heads like so many of the Briggs, Robin or Honda clones that are sold as "bargain" units.
My home Generator has a large Honda engine and a brushed Baldor generator head.
I doubt it will ever fail

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can also buy an A/C power inverter to run off of a car battery. But you'd need to keep charging the battery with your car. And keep carrying the battery up into your apartment.
Power inverters aren't that expensive.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Perfect! My husband and I will start saving up for one of those then! We just don't want to do this again. If its still out in the morning my babies are going to hang out with their grandma for a bit. She got power back, so ill bring a minimal setup to her place...