? Genitalia or something wrong?

Zoeviolet

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi guys

I have 2 tortoises. The tortoise I am writing about today is a 3 year old Spurthighed tortoise who we were told was incubated at temperature to produce girls...

Today she did a wee and this thing came out of her that I freaked out about and thought it may be her insides coming out or an alien 🤣
Anyway it was dark in colour at the end it kind of flanged out and then became thin as more came out and was a mouve colour. Within a minute it went back inside. I started to panic thinking is it a prolapse.. after some Google searching I am questioning if she may infact be a he or if she was flashing her female organs!?

Just now I noticed she had it slightly out again but no where near as much as earlier .. I managed to get a picture see pic attached.. but it was out a lot more earlier.

After I took a picture I put her down and she then did a large poo... is this actually something to do with her digestive track as was after weeing and before pooing or is this genitalia!?

If so any ideas which one?

Ps she is eating well.. soak her 3c a week and water dish in their home... she is also very active.

Thanks 🙃

Zoeviolet

UK
tort 2.jpg

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a tortoise penis. Many breeders strive to "incubate for female", or male, but the only tortoise species where these temps have been studied in a lab and are known is the sulcata, thanks to Richard Fife. This being the case, "mistakes" are common. Even most veterinarians get it wrong on immature animals. All of them look female until the secondary sexual characteristics begin to show well into maturity. Most people learn they have a male the same way you are learning right now. In any case, eversion of the penis is common during defecation, urination, soaking, and any other time they feel like it.

Also, tortoises should never live in pairs, regardless of the sexes. They should be separated ASAP.

Most of the care info given is wrong. Here is the correct care info for your species:

Questions are welcome.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Congratulations on it being a boy, also had the same experience with my Sulcata. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Tortoise don't look like a Spurthighed. Are we talking Sulcata or another Spurthighed Tortoise?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Google just told me Greek Tortoise.

Zoeviolet

UK
Congratulations on it being a boy, also had the same experience with my Sulcata. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Tortoise don't look like a Spurthighed. Are we talking Sulcata or another Spurthighed Tortoise?
Hi!
As far as I am aware he is a spur thighed tortoise. I do have another tortoise that is a Herman's and they are very different.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I brought them both from the same breeder who has many tortoises of her own in her garden and haven't been told too separate them
Species should never be mixed, and tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Either the breeder was ignorant, or they valued a sale more than the welfare of their animals.

Now you know. Time to separate them ASAP.