Getting a little worried about my baby redfoot

gustaf

5 Year Member
My redfiot hatchling is 21 days old today. Im a little worried.
His yolk sac area is still not closed up. The reason im worried about that is because there is an area thats not covered by that yellow membrane/skin like covering. It looks like his stomach or some part of his abdomen is exposed. Its pink and fleshy. Sometimes it looks smaller an sometimes a little bigger, like its sticking out more. He is in a rubbermaid container ( as a brooder box) inside his enclosure on a slighly damp paper towel. He is in a closed chamber. Ambient temp set at 87 but according to my infra red thermometer surface temp is 84 -85. I think thats about right. Humidity is pretty steady at around 80%. He isnt very active. He has eaten a few bites of food. And tasted a few bites of food but i dont think hes actually eaten anything for at least 3 days. I have been soaking him daily for about 15 min at a time. He has a reptisun 10.0 uv light but i only leave it on a few hrs at a time right now. I guess i dont want him to get too active untill his shell closes up entirely.
But something just doesnt seem right. Is this normal or is he struggling?
I have offered him finely chopped baby grass, clover, strawberry, leaf lettuce, romaine, cantelope, and even a couple moistened aquatic turtle sticks. I think he ate one turtle stick and maybe a couple bites of greens over this 3 week period but thats it. Is this ok? What am i doing wrong?
[

Last edited:

gustaf

5 Year Member
Here are a couple pics. For some reason i wasnt able to attach pics in first post.

Attachments

• 1433428971833.jpg
    1433428971833.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 1433429017919.jpg
    1433429017919.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 40

gustaf

5 Year Member
After looking at some pics of tortoise anatomy it would appear that what im seeing may be an exposed bladder. And something else peeks out a little which might be the anus. His anal scutes are not fused together. Sometimes they are touching. Sometimes gapped. I dont think thats a good thing.

meech008

5 Year Member
I am new to tortoise ownership but it does seem like your tortoise needs to make a visit to the vet. You're obviously concerned and I think it would help put your mind at ease :) like I said though, I am a novice so hopefully someone with more experience in tortoises will come along. He's a beautiful little guy!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
I have never seen anything like this before but I did want to say, you haven't done anything wrong. What you explained in the care you have given him/her is spot on. I hope she makes it through. She's beautiful....
My redfiot hatchling is 21 days old today. Im a little worried.
His yolk sac area is still not closed up. The reason im worried about that is because there is an area thats not covered by that yellow membrane/skin like covering. It looks like his stomach or some part of his abdomen is exposed. Its pink and fleshy. Sometimes it looks smaller an sometimes a little bigger, like its sticking out more. He is in a rubbermaid container ( as a brooder box) inside his enclosure on a slighly damp paper towel. He is in a closed chamber. Ambient temp set at 87 but according to my infra red thermometer surface temp is 84 -85. I think thats about right. Humidity is pretty steady at around 80%. He isnt very active. He has eaten a few bites of food. And tasted a few bites of food but i dont think hes actually eaten anything for at least 3 days. I have been soaking him daily for about 15 min at a time. He has a reptisun 10.0 uv light but i only leave it on a few hrs at a time right now. I guess i dont want him to get too active untill his shell closes up entirely.
But something just doesnt seem right. Is this normal or is he struggling?
I have offered him finely chopped baby grass, clover, strawberry, leaf lettuce, romaine, cantelope, and even a couple moistened aquatic turtle sticks. I think he ate one turtle stick and maybe a couple bites of greens over this 3 week period but thats it. Is this ok? What am i doing wrong?
[

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Aldabraman will know . one of his baby Aldabra had the same problem . This is not normal keep it clean and soak it in clean warm Clearwater .

gustaf

5 Year Member
Hi guys. I will try to give a better update when i have more time. He/she is still hangin in there and ate a little mango and cucumber yesterday. Aldabraman if you have any experience you are willing to share with me that would be great.