Getting a painted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
I'm going to be getting a painted turtle from my uncle a little later this evening. So I need some setup ideas. I have an empty 20g aquarium right now that i can put him in. I'm assuming i'll need a water filter as well. What does the water temp need to be? Basking spot temp? What does they're diet consist of?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I always kept mine outside in the pond, except for the little one's that were too small to go out. I kept the water temp. at 75 degrees, and I never checked the basking temp. I fed them Koi food to keep their color, and they ate all the pond plants, except for the water lilies. They loved the duck weed, so I used to bring in some to the little ones. I would give them a leaf of escarole, dandelion, or some romaine, when they were inside. I also gave an occasional worm, which they loved. Becareful if you give them treats...shrimp..bugs. They will ignore their food and wait for the goodies. Painted's are wonderful turtles and very friendly. Post some pictures when you are done setting him up. This is my little Eastern Painted.
000_000_Scan0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.