Getting a small procedure

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
I am getting two small procedures- one today and one next Wednesday. I have to be up at out of my house by 7. Would you guys wake up early and soak? Or just leave fresh food out and soak when I get back around 3. Both are minimally invasive so I wil be able to care for Bernie once I get home! I typically get him up around 8:30-9 for his morning soaks. TIA!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure tortoises have days in the wild when they can't come out of their night time shelter to forage - rainy days, overcast days, foggy days, etc. It won't hurt a tortoise to not be fed or soaked for a day.

Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Leave your lights on a timer and if you can by all means leave fresh food. Your tortoise will be fine even though soaked a bit later than usual.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am getting two small procedures- one today and one next Wednesday. I have to be up at out of my house by 7. Would you guys wake up early and soak? Or just leave fresh food out and soak when I get back around 3. Both are minimally invasive so I wil be able to care for Bernie once I get home! I typically get him up around 8:30-9 for his morning soaks. TIA!
There is no reason that you have to soak your tortoise in the morning, and there does not need to be a consistent routine. I soak mine whenever it is convenient for me and my schedule is constantly changing.

I would put out a small amount of food before you leave and then soak the tortoise whenever you get home. You can put out more food whole the tortoise is soaking. Platynota do most of their eating in the evening anyway.