Getting back into it...

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, California
Hi All,

So happy to have found this forum! Wish it was around long ago!

My wife recently convinced me that we should rescue a large sulcata from the local shelter. Shortly after, we also rescued another large sulcata from another shelter.

In another life I cared for lots of tortoises. I had sulcatas, yellow foots, red foots, elongated, leopard, desert, texas, burmese brown, russian and greek. Was pretty successful breeding sulcatas, but also bred desert and leopard. Also managed to get a CBW permit and had a pair of young Galapagos tortoises. Then we moved and had more kids (6 in all), so I gave it up and sold/adopted all of my tortoises. Thought I was out of it for good!

Now I have 6 grandchildren, and they love the tortoises! I'm busy building fences and houses for them, so that's keeping me extra busy.

Looking forward to learning even more from you all!

Thanks,

Sean.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

So happy to have found this forum! Wish it was around long ago!

My wife recently convinced me that we should rescue a large sulcata from the local shelter. Shortly after, we also rescued another large sulcata from another shelter.

In another life I cared for lots of tortoises. I had sulcatas, yellow foots, red foots, elongated, leopard, desert, texas, burmese brown, russian and greek. Was pretty successful breeding sulcatas, but also bred desert and leopard. Also managed to get a CBW permit and had a pair of young Galapagos tortoises. Then we moved and had more kids (6 in all), so I gave it up and sold/adopted all of my tortoises. Thought I was out of it for good!

Now I have 6 grandchildren, and they love the tortoises! I'm busy building fences and houses for them, so that's keeping me extra busy.

Looking forward to learning even more from you all!

Thanks,

Sean.
Hello and welcome back to the tortoise world! Few people have kept that many species. That is pretty cool.

There has been a lot of new knowledge developed over the last decade or so. It turns out that a lot of the old conventional "wisdom" was wrong. Some of us here have been doing experiments and we figured out a whole lotta what for and how to.

Start here to get caught up to speed. Click on the sulcata care sheet near the bottom and see how different things are from back in the old days when people like you and I started:

Questions and conversation are welcome!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey there and welcome to the forum Sean!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will quickly get caught up with the newest research and find many friends in here :D