Getting better.

Erick153

5 Year Member
Hello everyone it's been a while since I checked in. I am happy to say that Ayana seems to be doing better, theres no more poop build up since I switched her up to dandilion which she seems to love. Her appetite is quite healthy, she's already gone through a whole bunch of dandilion! And it only took her a couple of weeks :p for those who aren't familiar with Ayana, shes a tiny sulcata about two months old. I am curious about the drastic change she went through recently wherein her skin becam very dark. When I got her she was very fair skinned nowadays shes very very dark. Ive heard they darken up a bit as they get older and sometimes the substrate can be the cause, I've had her on coco coir but it litterally happened over the course of a few days, maybe a week. I did have a compact flourescent bulb for approximately 6-8 hours but after receiving info from here that its harmful to her, I never used it again and sent it back. Some updates since my last post: she is now on orchid bark (I left the eco earth soil underneath to retain moisture) her diet has been dandelion but now that shes through it all I am working in some watercress and radicchio. Im doing by best to get a hold of the right type of lighting as well as a good grass product to feed her while I can grow my own. Its been rather difficult for both these things since I am not earning good money right now and I am no green thumb either! Any leads would be greatly appreciated as well as some info on her color change. Thanks all have a wonderful day!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Erik, glad to hear Ayana is doing well.
Which country are you in?
You are right to get rid of that bulb.
Is she able to spend time outside to get uvb or any access to it?
As you have prob already know, torts need the uvb for digestion and to absorb calcium etc.
So if not either of those then you will need a new bulb asap or she could have probs again.
I use an arcadia mini d3 MVB 80w bulb which gives light heat and uv rays all in one bulb.
It cost me £39 here in the UK which isn't cheap, but unless it is warm enough for Ayana
to go out in the sun for a while then unfortunately it is something of a necessity.
Best wishes.

Erick153

5 Year Member
I take her out as often as I can for around 30 minutes at a time. Unfortunately it has been rainy here in NM and there hasnt been much sunlight for the past few days. I will definitely be investing in a good bulb when I recieve my paycheck. I am in the processe of moving her from the 10 gallon tank shes in to a 40 gallom which I am currently keeping a snake in. I just need to finish the snakes new enclosure first. A link to find that bulb woyld be awesome! Thanks for your reply.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
This is the one I use
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-D3-Basking-Lamp-80w/dp/B009URKDEW
There are higher wattages available and other good makes as well.
So do a search here and see what other members use, to find out what other options may be available for you.

I bought mine from Pets at Home in the UK and because mine is used in an adapted room rather than an enclosure (My tort is 11" long)
I may go for 100w or more for the winter.
If you need night heat without light as torts need darkness to sleep, a Ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat is ideal.
Sorry if you already know that - I haven't looked back at your other posts.

Erick153

5 Year Member
I have an under tank heater which provides her heat when I turn off the bkue nighttime bulb she has on now. I moniter her temps regularly both with the light on and off and I find that she has a good gradient of temp throughout her enclosure. Ranging from 75 on the cool side up to 85 on the warm side as well as a little hide where it goes up to the high 90s if she wants the extra heat. The fixture I have now is only rated for 75w which is why I havent implemented the spare ceramic bulb that I have for the snake which is 100w.