Getting Started - Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark N AZ

5 Year Member
Hello All!
I’m truly enjoying this forum but there is so much to absorb, it’s darn near a full time job though.

We have acquired a Sulcata, about 13 years old and as friendly as can be. I started on his enclosure about a week ago and got it to the point to where we brought him home yesterday. I've a few weeks off of work so I will continue to add items like a burrow obstacles and maybe plant grass. His enclosed shelter is 1st.

I’m open to feedback and/or suggestions on things to add or change. I’ve also tried to find details on whether Sissoo (Indian Rosewood) Tree leaves are ok for them to eat. Does anyone have details on this? OH.. Is the Mazuri supplements fine to feed as part of their food variety?

Thanks…
-Mark

Attachments

• 2013-07-14_09-06-21_651.jpg
    2013-07-14_09-06-21_651.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 184
  • 2013-07-16_06-34-39_686.jpg
    2013-07-16_06-34-39_686.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
  • 2013-07-16_06-35-25_627.jpg
    2013-07-16_06-35-25_627.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 170

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Nice enclosure so far. I would suggest adding cactus, rose of Sharon, hibiscus, grasses and weeds, mulberry tree. Also, a water/mud pit or cement walk in pond. You can also get more edible ideas off of the tortoisetable.org

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sulcata? Looks like a great enclosure to be. Can't wait to see the finish product

ainfalt

5 Year Member
I think this looks nice so far. I'm excited to see how it turns out. Nice looking tort too! What's his name?

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Brooklyn New York
WOW it's looking great so far can't wait to see the finish product /Yes mazuri is very good for them and they love it with that size enclosures you should be able to plant and grow all or most the food ya tortoise may nee

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
What a great start. Barb's suggestion for a pond is a good one, and of course some shade is necessary. Are you going to build a night box or just let him burrow?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello, looks good, lots of room. One thing i would add. The two cinder blocks with holes in them. I would try to block them off. He is going to want to go thru them. Looks like you have a very large tree. Does it shade the area all day? I would also suggest some type of hides. They love hides to sit in. And plants to hide under...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Did I read it right that you live in AZ ? Cause if you do did you plan some kind of drainage other wise 2times a year it may be a great looking pond . I put a dry river bed through my leopard pen

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
mainey34 said:
Hello, looks good, lots of room. One thing i would add. The two cinder blocks with holes in them. I would try to block them off. He is going to want to go thru them. Looks like you have a very large tree. Does it shade the area all day? I would also suggest some type of hides. They love hides to sit in. And plants to hide under...

Yep, if he can see through it he might try and push through it.

danielle

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks good so far. My suggestion would be to take the plants off of the blocks. Your sully will try and plow through them and they could fall on top of him. Mine are only 30 lbs and some days I come home to the patio furniture moved.

morloch

5 Year Member
Very nice!! I would put in a log,, some plants , flowers,,, oops, sorry , I look at that and get excited!! Can't wait to see when it's done!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.