Getting worried

blakespinks85

Location (City and/or State)
Commerce
15857026710613246844507699715134.jpg
I'm starting to worry about my baby leopard tort back there in the food dish. Everyday I put out fresh wheat grass, clover, wet zoo med grassland, and fresh leafy greens mixed up. I never see her eat. I put her in the food dish everyday and she just sits there. Then eventually gets out. I also have spag moss mixed in the substrate and wondering if rhats what she is living on. Not sure what to do at this point because I am sure spag moss is a healthy diet. Anybody been through this?1585703222879876436960197598579.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had the misfortune to have only one egg hatch out of a clutch, so I too have only one baby. It's much harder to get ONE baby to eat than it is with several.

My baby is about three weeks old now and yesterday was the first time I saw it eating.

Every morning I put in fresh food, not too much as I don't want to overwhelm. Then I put the baby in front of the food and step out of sight. He finally started eating yesterday.

Soak your baby daily, make sure your enclosure is an overall 80-85F degrees and cross your fingers.

blakespinks85

Commerce
I had the misfortune to have only one egg hatch out of a clutch, so I too have only one baby. It's much harder to get ONE baby to eat than it is with several.

My baby is about three weeks old now and yesterday was the first time I saw it eating.

Every morning I put in fresh food, not too much as I don't want to overwhelm. Then I put the baby in front of the food and step out of sight. He finally started eating yesterday.

Soak your baby daily, make sure your enclosure is an overall 80-85F degrees and cross your fingers.
I have been soaking every other day but will try every day. The enclosure goes from about 77 to 103 on the temp but the majority is between 85 and 90. and ive had her since Feb 8th.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been soaking every other day but will try every day. The enclosure goes from about 77 to 103 on the temp but the majority is between 85 and 90. and ive had her since Feb 8th.
Where did you get the baby? How was it started?

I would remove the moss. It does nothing and if the tortoise eats it, it can cause impaction. This is one possibility of what is wrong.

blakespinks85

Commerce
Where did you get the baby? How was it started?

I would remove the moss. It does nothing and if the tortoise eats it, it can cause impaction. This is one possibility of what is wrong.
I got her from the DFW Reptarium. If I remove the moss, what is another way to help holf humidity?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got her from the DFW Reptarium. If I remove the moss, what is another way to help holf humidity?
The only way that works to my satisfaction is to use a proper closed chamber with the lights inside. It never works well trying to retrofit open toped enclosures, and having the lights and heat lamps outside creates a chimney effect which cools and dries out the enclosure.