Ghost shrimp

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Are ghost shrimp good for my desert box turtle to eat? If so, how often can Paxton eat them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know that ghost shrimp parasites killed several of my very expensive CICHLIDS over the years. (Fishes)
I'm not sure of the risks associated with reptiles eating them

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you. I hope someone on the forum has feed them to their turtle. I'm trying to give Paxton different protein.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I've given ghost shrimp to my turtles many times over the years. I've never seen any ill effects from it and they seem to enjoy hunting around for them. That said, I don't know how long it would take for parasites to be an issue. Its been ~4 years since the first time I gave them ghost shrimp.

I assume its either a different supplier not having parasites, luck, or that the turtles don't care as much as cichlids which are pretty finicky (as far as I'm aware).

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I've given ghost shrimp to my turtles many times over the years. I've never seen any ill effects from it and they seem to enjoy hunting around for them. That said, I don't know how long it would take for parasites to be an issue. Its been ~4 years since the first time I gave them ghost shrimp.

I assume its either a different supplier not having parasites, luck, or that the turtles don't care as much as cichlids which are pretty finicky (as far as I'm aware).
Thank you I'm going to try one and see how he does. Thank you