Ginger

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Last evening I was just doing what I do, and happen to walk by a tort table holding box turtles...Oh holy sh*t! My very favorite box turtle was on her back, smack under the hot flood type bulb. The only thing moving were her eyes. So I cooled her off somewhat slowly and just messed with her. All legs are tucked in, so I pulled on them and held her all evening and just messed with her...after a couple of hours she was moving her head and was more alert. This is Ginger Ginger my Ginger....she loved fruit and swimming...

100_4263.JPG
100_4261.JPG
she was my favorite box turtle for a lotta years...20 maybe?
So I messed with her last night for a long time, so at bed time she was moving her head in and out; and her eyes are alert. This morning she was in the same spot as last night...damn it! she was glad to see me from her actions...but she's barely moving her arms and not her legs at all. I put her in some shallow warmish water, and when I checked on her, her head was totally surrounded by mouth bubbles, slimy bubbles. I cleaned them off all the slime.
I want opinions...euthanize her? Or try physical therapy? How long do I wait? What should I do? Is she paralyzed from heat? The slimy mouth...does that mean something? Advice wanted...oh hell

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm so sorry this happened. I hope someone helps you soon.

EricW

Houston, TX
I am sure others can help out more than I, but one of the biggest issues other than overheating/heat stroke is dehydration. I would continue soaking in water to get fluids up.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@zovick ..your advice?
I don't think euthanizing is needed at all here. Keep soaking her and give her some time. She had a traumatic experience and you messing with her was not the norm either.
I would even add some Pedialyte to the soak water.
@Yvonne G
You @ Yvonne...is cracking me up! While I try not to pester her, she actually is my sister and I've talked to her by phone a few times today...she told me to @zovik lol

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Sisters were born to pester each other, trust me, I know! LOL. I found that amusing as well. I was like "Does Yvonne not know??"

Good luck, I hope it all works out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@zovik...your advice?

You @ Yvonne...is cracking me up! While I try not to pester her, she actually is my sister and I've talked to her by phone a few times today...she told me to @zovik lol
I wondered why you didn't just ask her or tag her lol. Thought maybe you were having a family feud lol.
While you don't want to pester her, I pester(alert) her a lot🤨

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh no. Dang it! I've lost a tortoise before on its back in the sun. Not an easy thing for the keeper to have to endure. RIP Ginger! She had a good life with you, Maggie.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That truly sucks Magz, I wish I had magic words for you girl but I don't. We all do the best we can coping with sucky things, one after another but little bright spots like Ginger, or my Matilda or you and the other folks here, that's the part that makes it all "do-able"

Sorry,

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So sorry about your loss.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Oh Maggie, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss of Ginger. You gave her a great life and I’m sure she was grateful for that.