Glass Enclosure

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I am having two new tanks built for my tortoise and turtle. I will be meeting with the person that will be constructing the tanks next week, so there has been no discussion yet on the details. Both tanks would share the same welded metal stand. The turtle tank would be on the bottom and the tortoise tank would be on top. I would like the tortoise tank to be a fully enclosed glass tank (and was thinking of something similar for the turtle), for heat and humidity purposes. These tanks will be in a basement, which is on the cooler side temperature wise. I also live in Alberta, Canada so keeping them outside is not plausible for a large portion of the year. I was thinking of having two sliding glass doors on the front of the tortoise tank for access. I have a question about lighting. How could I secure lights inside the tank (for tortoise and turtle)? Any recommendations? I would be housing a Cherry Head Red Footed Tortoise in one tank and a Reeve's turtle in the other. Any advice or suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
Hi Randi,

I'm not an expert (at all, still getting my stuff together for my own guy) but I would caution you against a 4 sided glass tank. The glass actually allows a lot of the heat to escape- I had my baby in one ad had to wrap 3 of the walls in aluminum foil to keep temps up. Also, torts don't do well if they can see out, they constantly sit against the wall and try to escape.... I highly recommend at least a visual barrier...

Sorry I can't help with the light question!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How big/old are these tortoises?

What floor area will these vivs have?

Glass vivs rarely suit anything bigger than a hatchling as you simply cannot provide enough floorspace.

They are great for very small tortoises - I have no idea where the previous poster’s insulation thing comes from - they can be closed in and retain the heat and humidity well enough with the correct lighting and maybe a CHE.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree with @CincyTort26 Glass is an extremely good conductor of heat (and cold). A glass enclosure in a garage would require more to heat. That is why many of us have gone to a double walled plywood with foam insulation panels sandwiched in. Here's my setup that is in a garage for ideas for you.

IMG_4115.JPG

One of them could be easily modified for a Reeves turtle enclosure.

Here is a link to a post I did on how I built it with plans - to give ideas to your handyman...

https://tortoiseforum.org/posts/1295801

Randi

Canada
I'm not exactly sure of the age of my tortoise or gender. I have had the tortoise since July of 2014. I believe it was a hatchling when I adopted it out but was very ill and malnourished. I had adopted the tortoise before it could be euthanized, due to severe shell rot and the fact that it had not ate, for what I am told, was months. I was told that the store had the tortoise for at least six months. Not sure on age and not sure if the size of the tortoise would be consistent with a certain age. If I measure the tortoise from the nuchal scute to the supracaudal scute, it is a little over 7 inches.

I am thinking of 6 ft (72") long by 3 ft (36") wide for the tortoise and turtle enclosures. I have yet to determine the height of the tanks. I would have the tanks constructed in the basement, as they could not be carried through a doorway. The tank the tortoise is in now is glass and has all sides covered in black paint, except the front. I was thinking of something similar for the new tank. My concern with wood would be the possibility for a fire. I also am not sure how I would mount lights safely. The tanks would ideally be situated together, one on top of the other. This basement room will be my bedroom, and I do not think there would be enough space to have two large tanks that aren't situated together (one on top of the other).

I am open to suggestions, though. I meet with the builder on Saturday. Thank you, Markw84 for the link and suggestion. It's amazing. Thank you for all of the current and future replies.

Last edited: