Help please still not sure about enclosure

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
tortoise house I’m moving Leggy from into the planter box. They are all outside now because the sun is out ..
I think your planter box will work great! Good find!

As for Dribble..I see him on the floor on a rug? Are you sure he hasn't eaten anything from the rug? Dust bunnies, carpet fibers, animal (or human) hair...any of these can cause an impaction. Tortoises can't cough, so eating, inhaling foreign stuff is common. Might explain his not pooping good. Something to think about.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Hi, Dribble doesn’t usually stay on that rug long but all 3 tortoises LOVE to try and eat it. There’s not much they can actually take off of it. I don’t know why he isn’t eating still. The vet said things move very slowly with tortoises and it might take months. But he WAS eating before I took him in to the vet. I was worried because he wasn’t pooping or peeing, at least what I could see compared to his sibling who does every day. I should probably bring him to a new vet if anyone knows of a good one in Los Angeles.
The planter which took a long time to put together and stooped me down to giving an irate review on Amazon, is where I moved the baby, Leggy and leggy is flipping over constantly. Every time I check she’s (or he but I live in a house of boys so for she’s a she) flipped over. I realized I went a little Pinterest crazy on it and took out the big hide I turned into a hill to climb over but she’s STILL flipping. She’s trying to climb the sides which have grooves and my pond liner /tape job to cling on to so now I need to figure out how to make the walls smooth. I’m using organic soil and coco coir, which seemed to be the most favored on here, and it dries so quickly I think maybe I need to add something more solid?
Today is rainy again and they are all cooped up inside. Free (dribbles sibling) is roaming the house. Dribble is under his light sleeping looking depressed and baby Leggy is now eating. Next winter I must learn how to hibernate them. Hopefully Dribble is eating by then.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Fair warning. By letting your tortoises roam the floor, you are putting their lives in danger. The floor is colder then there enclosures, no matter how clean you keep it, they will find hair, dust, dirt ar anything else that can fall on the floor. They can get stepped on, things fall on them. Also, by letting them roam the floor, they now know there is a bigger area, now they will scratch at the sides of their enclosure, constantly trying to get out. It is dangerous and a bad idea. We have many, many threads on here about torts running the floor, getting caught in a door, head getting crushed, being stepped on, besides the ones about them getting impatiens, sick because they are too cold ect, ect.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Crap. Well I have the heat on. They like to sit on the vent. I’m literally sweating it’s so hot. But Free is trying to climb the box barrier I made to keep her out of tvroom and very determined. They usually live in their outdoor habitat but I have it covered because of the rain prediction and it’s chilly out. I have heating Matts in the enclosure but I still worry about rain and chords.. and it’s covered in a giagaitc tarp now. I just want them to be able to stretch their legs becuase indoors they are in bookshelves turn on backs. Dribble, who isn’t eating, his stomach thing started when it was warm out and I never let them walk around house. Plus at this time kids are at school and it’s just me. I know they need exercise so the idea of being cramped in their book cases seems grim. I could block off this room but they’d be stuck together which also I don’t want. Sun will be out soon hopefully. I’m trying to figure out how to flip prof the baby’s habitat now.