Glass or acrylic?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, turtle-peeps!
Does anyone here make their own aquariums? If so, what are your thoughts on glass vs acrylic?
I am considering making a false-bottomed paludarium to house either some spotted turtles, mud or musk turtles indoors. (NOTE: This won't happen until I retire in 2-3 years, but nerd that I am, I like to research my a** off before taking the plunge, especially where $$$ is involved!) :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Acrylic scratches. When you get the water stain and try to clean it off, you end up with a scratched tank. Acrylic is lighter and probably cheaper. I've had both at one time or another and my preference would be glass. But it's pretty heavy to move.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Acrylic will scratch very easily. I have an acrylic aquarium tha used to house marine fish. The dog faced puffer I had, scratched the heck out of it with is beak rubbing it along the front with his excitement of seeing me, knowing of course he was going to get fed or a back rubbing. The turtles toe nails if not their beak will do the same. The scratches can be buffed out, but you have to empty the tank to do it and it will weaken that area. I would go with glass.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have both, and now the acrylic one (250 gals) is old, cloudy, (hard to see thru) and scratched but good. I have 4 other tanks all glass all 150 gals or more that are mostly fine. There's some hard water stains on one, the other's have tortoises or box turtles in them....Use glass....

edwardbo

5 Year Member
How are you guys moving and managing 150-200 gallon tanks ? Do you just leave them in the same place or hire crews to move them? Can't imagine taking them outside for a good scrubbing and spraying .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you guys moving and managing 150-200 gallon tanks ? Do you just leave them in the same place or hire crews to move them? Can't imagine taking them outside for a good scrubbing and spraying .

I've always cleaned mine in place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Moozilion, One more vote for glass here. The inevitable hard water stains are easily removed with a straight edge razor and some elbow grease. Can't do that with acrylic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How are you guys moving and managing 150-200 gallon tanks ? Do you just leave them in the same place or hire crews to move them? Can't imagine taking them outside for a good scrubbing and spraying .[/QUOTE
No need to ever move them unless you want too. All cleaning is done in place like Tom said. Best time is just before a water change. Clean, no chemicals, just good old elbow grease, then suction the portion of water and dirt out and fill. A quick wipe down daily of the inside glass will save you on a lot of elbow grease.
One more thing about acrylic, the algae likes the scratches and makes it really hard to get off.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If you want a nice viewing tank and can see everything glass is the way to go. Acrylic is nice tho if you just need a tank to keep a turtle in. I have a 200 gallon acrylic for my mexican musk during cold weather, I love it cuz it's so easy to handle I can move it my self if needed. Glass is way heavy. But the acrylic will scratch and fog up over time. Still the weight for me is why I like it. It's like having a tub with see through sides

Kyle

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Has anyone ever MIXED glass and acrylic in one tank? Like glass bottom and front, but acrylic for the other 3 sides?
Hmmmm...actually in thinking about it, I doubt that would be stable...?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hmm. Idk if there are any hybrids. I do know when they make acrylic tanks the adhesive they use fuses the acrylic togeter using chemical reaction. Glass I think is just pretty much glued together. So idk I you can get that seal with acrylic and glass

Kyle

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I think don't mix acrylic with glass for the four main wall. Like others say, they just scratch and turn ugly later, but I might use the acrylic to build up the turtle dock and ramp to save cost if that what you wish for.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Glass! :D
I agree, acrylic won't look pretty for long, it can get damaged very easily... so no harsh brushes, which means a semi-clean tank, (plus mineral stains and scratch marks!) So for the long run beauty of it and to save $$$, start with glass :)