Glazed saucer

Jami

Hi. I'm going to pick up some glazed clay saucers (to be water dishes) and a glazed clay pot to use as a hide. I had unglazed saucers and they either didn't hold water, or when I cleaned them they retained the smell of the vinegar. I swear I read a post about having to soak glazed things in vinegar before use and I can't find it anywhere. Is that suggested? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not heard that. I just washed mine with soap and water and rinsed well.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i use unglazed saucers for food and water both indoors and out. i've never had problems with them holding water. i use a scrub brush and plain water to clean them daily. should i be using vinegar or soap to clean them with?

Jami

i use unglazed saucers for food and water both indoors and out. i've never had problems with them holding water. i use a scrub brush and plain water to clean them daily. should i be using vinegar or soap to clean them with?
Mine the water just soaked in and dried up. It was weird. I'm not sure about your method - someone with more experience can tell us I hope.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like the glazed ones because they are too slick.

Some of the terra cotta ones do seep, but most don't. If I happen to get a seeper, I just use it as a food bowl and get another one for water.

Try some from a different store or different batch. Most of them don't seep.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You should buy more than one just in case. I take them and fill them up on the counter to see which will hold water. That way I can either take them back or I chip the side to mark them as food dishes.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I bought 5 terra cotta dishes from different stores over 4 months and all seeped. I just had a string of bad luck. Now I use pretty green glazed ones from Home Depot.

Jami

I don't like the glazed ones because they are too slick.

Some of the terra cotta ones do seep, but most don't. If I happen to get a seeper, I just use it as a food bowl and get another one for water.

Try some from a different store or different batch. Most of them don't seep.
Hi. I was worried about the glazed being too slippery but I think I'll put one of his tiles in it or some rocks and see how he does. I bought a bunch and they seeped. I'll get a few more and try them. Thanks! I'm going to have a humidity question for you later!

Jami

You should buy more than one just in case. I take them and fill them up on the counter to see which will hold water. That way I can either take them back or I chip the side to mark them as food dishes.
Yes, I had a few...the only one that didn't seep all of it is the one smelling so much of vinegar. Ugh...

Jami

I bought 5 terra cotta dishes from different stores over 4 months and all seeped. I just had a string of bad luck. Now I use pretty green glazed ones from Home Depot.
Me too! It's been crazy. I wish I could test them there. But I think I'll just try with glazed and put rocks or a tile in it. He needs to be bumped up a little higher. I had a small cool thing from the pet store but it's too deep right now and not big enough for a tile. Thanks for responding!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Maybe someone can chime in and let us know how to seal these from the bottom? Also, why do you clean them with vinegar? I rinse mine with clean water every now and then.

I think maybe I will head over to Home Depot or Lowes and see what I can find to seal these from the bottom.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All of the unglazed ones I have ever had in all the years have seeped, but they are suppose to seep. :) I buy glazed ones for water, the unglazed for food. Never had a slipping issues, but in some I do place pretty rocks for double duty (eye appeal and incase there would be slippage).

Jami

Maybe someone can chime in and let us know how to seal these from the bottom? Also, why do you clean them with vinegar? I rinse mine with clean water every now and then.

I think maybe I will head over to Home Depot or Lowes and see what I can find to seal these from the bottom.
Hi. I was sanitizing everything because my first hatchling had a very bad infection. I figured I would get new saucers, but tried the vinegar to see. Lots of people here suggest cleaning with vinegar and water to sanitize.

Jami

All of the unglazed ones I have ever had in all the years have seeped, but they are suppose to seep. :) I buy glazed ones for water, the unglazed for food. Never had a slipping issues, but in some I do place pretty rocks for double duty (eye appeal and incase there would be slippage).
Sounds good. It's my new plan!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Excuse me for barging in, where do you find glazed ones that are big enough? I can only find little ones.

Jami

Excuse me for barging in, where do you find glazed ones that are big enough? I can only find little ones.
You're not barging in at all! I saw all different sizes and colors glazed and unglazed at Home Depot. I haven't looked hard enough at lowes. I only need the 6 inch size now, because the 4 seems too small & deep. I think I can put something in the 6 inch that would boost him a little bit. Maybe others will have other stores to look in. I haven't really looked anywhere else. :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I literally looked at Lowes, Walmart, a home and garden store, and local nursery, NONE had glazed dishes that weren't also attached to pots. :p Home Depot is the only place I had luck.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmmm, I use plastic! :D They don't retain smell, drip, and are hard to break! I would recomend plastic over clay ;)