Glazed saucer

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm, I use plastic! :D They don't retain smell, drip, and are hard to break! I would recomend plastic over clay ;)

The problem with plastic is they are light weight and some tortoises think that means they are put into their enclosures to see how long it takes to tip them over. Some tortoises could make it in Olympic competition. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
... and if your using the saucers for food dishes, the unglazed ones help with beak wear, which plastic won't.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D he's pretty good about being nice to his stuff :p, but he does try sometimes! I've never had beak problems, because he also has a stone to eat off of, and a cuttlebone... never thought of the tortoise Olympics though!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The problem with plastic is they are light weight and some tortoises think that means they are put into their enclosures to see how long it takes to tip them over. Some tortoises could make it in Olympic competition. :)
I guess I never thought about that, Especially since I have a Russian. I will have to keep an ion her as well as my new Boxturtle and if they start have an Olympic events I will have to figure out where to get the others, either glazed or not pleased.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I use unglazed terracotta saucers.

I got several saucers, and scrubbed them really well with soap and water when I first got them. I used to wash them after each use, but since she pees AND poops in her food dish, then continues to eat the contaminated food, I had second thoughts about imposing human cleanliness habits on my tort!

I now rinse out each dish really well after she's eaten, and let it bake in the sun for a few days. Since I have 4 saucers, each one bakes in the sun about 3 days before it gets used again, and cycled through.

I only have the ONE TORTOISE and I got her when she was 3 yrs old. If I had more than 1, or if I had a hatchling, I would practice more comprehensive dish hygiene.