Glossary of terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

Well what I consider an expert would be that of let's say GBTortoises/ Tom.One who raises and has raised for many years with healthy results..Now if I were new here..which I am still fairly new. Anyway if I were looking for one who had the experience behind them in the species I owned, it would be great to have a list here of those people.So that I could go directlty to them with any questions I had. Also I agree a terms list would be great also. Theres alot of times like when I first came on here and saw MVB , UVB etc, and wondered what the heck is that?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I believe that everyone has something to offer. I believe that folks here that have "tons of experience" are not born that way...and that is not to offend...it is simply my belief that even the folks who are in the know right now at one time knew nothing :D
But a desire and interest and love for tortoise/turtles/other reptiles is what sparked ones life long quest for information.

Also, I think even the "experienced" crowd knows darn well that one can only be effective to our tortoise as long as onewe keeps ones mind open for new and improved methods of care and that the minute one thinks they know it all is the day that the information one shares is actually outdated and closed mind....such as a "arid species" should never be given water in addition to their food nor should they ever be exposed to humidity"....you know.

I have seen many new members to this site offer up simple suggestions as well as share their life experiences with one another and in turn help in solving a question...all members are valuable and not one more than the other. I do feel that this forum is blessed with the millions of years some of the keepers collectively have:D

I have in my lifetime come across words or phrases that I was not certain of its meaning.....I simply researched and found the meaning....in our life we have this awesome thing called the internet and you can literally research a bunch of sources at once which allows you a multitude of information at ones disposal to help gain answers and information and opinions and such.....

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
GBtortoises said:
You're right, we've seen it here before. The hope would be that someone with less experience in a certain subject would want to learn and gain from someone with more experience in that subject, not just throw their opinion in. But again, that is relying on self honesty of a person. Something that others can't control. I know when Tom or someone else starts talking about Sulcata or someone starts explaining genetics I shut up and listen, because I don't know enough about either (or lots of other subjects) to comment or give advice.

I don't mean people shouldn't say anything if they're not sure; they should just qualify their statement. I personally would (and have) say things like "I know for Greeks that..." or "This has worked for me..." I'm just conscious that I'm not an expert, and would hate to mislead someone.

BTW - this is all a bit off-topic; sorry. I think the glossary is an awesome idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
We have many times talked of having a terms list, but not sure why Josh has never had us do one. I know, I started one for another forum and would be willing to do one for here. Folks could PM with thoughts they have for it. As a Mod, it would be easy for me, to just keep adding to one major list.

Jacqui:

I say go for it!! For right now, you can just start it under "General" and Josh can make it free standing when he gets a chance. Go ahead and start it, then close it so no one can chat on or about it.

If anyone wants to add to the list, we can PM a moderator or Jacqui and your term will be added to the list.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
My 2 cents: Things I'd want to see in the list.

MVB
MBD
UVA
UVB
CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light)
CHE
Cuttle Bone (not cuddle!)
Urates
Soak < More an explanation of what and why?
Substrate
Hide
Aestivate (sp?)
Brumate (sp?)
Various important body parts (Scute, Carapace, Plastron, etc.)
Oxalic acid
Vitamin D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
ShiningSnakes said:
I say forget any list for "breeders" or "experts" and just work on a list for terms, abbreviations, acronyms, etc. If someone has a specific question about a certain species, they can keep doing what they do: post in the respective section on this forum, and members will point them in the right direction. Like someone said, it gets kinda tricky trying to decide who's the "expert" and who isn't. Fortunately, this forum makes it pretty easy, as there isn't the bravado and internet machoism I see on other forums. I say, let peoples' posts speak for themselves and others can decide and sift out who is really knowledgeable.

I agree! I think a glossary of terms is much more important. I look at this site a great learning tool for new keepers and I think that a glossary would be very beneficial to them and the rest of us alike.

As far as a breeders list and an "experts" list, there is no surefire way to determine who should be included on these lists and what the criteria should be. Too much gray area.

Breeders have the ability to put ads on this site and reptile classifieds sites anytime they have something to offer. Many people will find out about them that way. As far as verifying a certain breeder or vendors legitimacy or their reputation all anyone needs to do is post the question on this site asking about someone. The poster can ask that people responding either pm or email them with their experiences with a particular breeder or vendor. That way it's not out in the public forum for everyone to see and the OP can then determine if they want to deal with an individual based on private feedback. I don't see a reason for TFO to get directly involved with it.

Again, the "expert" list is very subjective to an individuals personal experience and honesty about that experience. I think it's impossible to determine, especially via internet only, who is experienced in what fields and who is not.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
GBtortoises said:
ShiningSnakes said:
I say forget any list for "breeders" or "experts" and just work on a list for terms, abbreviations, acronyms, etc. If someone has a specific question about a certain species, they can keep doing what they do: post in the respective section on this forum, and members will point them in the right direction. Like someone said, it gets kinda tricky trying to decide who's the "expert" and who isn't. Fortunately, this forum makes it pretty easy, as there isn't the bravado and internet machoism I see on other forums. I say, let peoples' posts speak for themselves and others can decide and sift out who is really knowledgeable.

I agree! I think a glossary of terms is much more important. I look at this site a great learning tool for new keepers and I think that a glossary would be very beneficial to them and the rest of us alike.

As far as a breeders list and an "experts" list, there is no surefire way to determine who should be included on these lists and what the criteria should be. Too much gray area.

Breeders have the ability to put ads on this site and reptile classifieds sites anytime they have something to offer. Many people will find out about them that way. As far as verifying a certain breeder or vendors legitimacy or their reputation all anyone needs to do is post the question on this site asking about someone. The poster can ask that people responding either pm or email them with their experiences with a particular breeder or vendor. That way it's not out in the public forum for everyone to see and the OP can then determine if they want to deal with an individual based on private feedback. I don't see a reason for TFO to get directly involved with it.

Again, the "expert" list is very subjective to an individuals personal experience and honesty about that experience. I think it's impossible to determine, especially via internet only, who is experienced in what fields and who is not.

DITTO

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like cuddle bones, makes them sound cute

as for being born experts, I was born with a tortoise in my hand, some people are just born tortoise lovers.

terms not to forget
WC CB CDT RES DIA ( david is awesome) that one can be debated

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
terms not to forget
DIA ( david is awesome) that one can be debated

I will for sure do that term first David!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
I like cuddle bones, makes them sound cute

as for being born experts, I was born with a tortoise in my hand, some people are just born tortoise lovers.

terms not to forget
WC CB CDT RES DIA ( david is awesome) that one can be debated

:D DIA, Great!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I vote that we let the Captain suggest terms, tell him that we'll use them but throw them away when he isn't looking!

"I was born with a tortoise in my hand"-I think you're bordering copyright infringement there buddy-"I was born with a loaded six gun in my hand (cause I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride...")-Bon Jovi

Status
Not open for further replies.