Gnats Driving Me Crazy!!

dmarshall1991

I have tons of little flying gnats in my tortoise enclosure and they are driving me absolutely insane! It's to the point where I can't even watch Netflix on my phone at night with the lights off because they are escaping the enclosures and gravitating to the light if my phone. How on earth do I control these things and make them goooooo away!?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Substrate nats! They love wet, warm conditions (AKA, most tort tables) I had a bunch a while ago, but I read from @pfara that pillbugs are a great treatment! I scooped some up and and I had a to take a few tries to figure out to keep them alive, but they're doing great now.
Another key is to bump down how wet your dirt is.
Squeeze it and a water drips out, too wet.
Squeeze it and it holds shape but hardly any water, PERFECT!
Squeeze it and it just falls apart, too dry. :D

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Substrate nats! They love wet, warm conditions (AKA, most tort tables) I had a bunch a while ago, but I read from @pfara that pillbugs are a great treatment! I scooped some up and and I had a to take a few tries to figure out to keep them alive, but they're doing great now.
I'm starting to get the little buggers too :mad: Glad I read this so I can try the pillbug solution.
Out of curiosity, how did you manage to keep the pillbugs alive? (I'd like to minimize my casualties :))

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm starting to get the little buggers too :mad: Glad I read this so I can try the pillbug solution.
Out of curiosity, how did you manage to keep the pillbugs alive? (I'd like to minimize my casualties :))
;):p
I don't see them out a lot, because they like congregating underneath dishes and rocks. They like it slightly moist, which isn't usually a problem, and sometimes I bury half a berry in the coir by their favorite spot, and when the lights go out, I can dig it u and they be chewing on it like crazy. It's weird o_O:p

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Yep, the rollie pollie pill bugs will take care of the gnats. I think they eat the larvae or something because I had a massive problem in my boxie enclosure until I put the pollies in.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep, the rollie pollie pill bugs will take care of the gnats. I think they eat the larvae or something because I had a massive problem in my boxie enclosure until I put the pollies in.
I'm not sure WHAT they do, but they do a great job :D:p

dmarshall1991

Awesome thank you all!! I'm going to have to find out where I can purchase a bunch of pill bugs!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Terro has a product that traps them, It looks like an apple and you just pour the liquid inside the apple and set it near where they are congregating I am using them for the first time this year, and they are working fine so far.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Also, you can use the harmless bacteria Bt-i, which is found in Mosquito Dunks, and Mosquito Bits from Summit. Make a solution and pour or mist it over plant pots and substrates. We do this all the time in the nursery trade.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I remember putting apple cider vinegar, a few drop of dish soap and a bit of water in a cup. Cover it with plastic wrap and poke holes with a toothpick. They are attracted to the vinegar. Sometimes I didn't even put the plastic wrap on. You could put a few cups in your room. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Might be hard to find them this time of year, but look under the wood pile or old stacked wood...under rocks, etc.