Gnats...please help.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
There's small (really tiny) flies / gnats living under the water dish in my enclosure. Otis, my 7month Hermann's, doesn't seem bothered. I understand they thrive in the damp which is why the water dish, which often water is spilt etc, would be a good place for them. There aren't hundreds or anything; around twenty altogether that I've seen. I haven't seen them anywhere else other than there, but of course they blend in fantastically.
I know the solutions offered...baking or freezing the substrate for example. I could do that but it would be a lot of hassle (I'm not saying I'm unwilling, I am). Are these gnats any harm to Otis? Are there any easier ways to rid of them or are they helpful against other pests?
The feeding dish Otis has is next to the water dish. Should I move it?
Should I reduce the water I spray on it? Often I pour some water in and mix it with my hands so it is moist, but not so around the area they thrive in, because obviously it's under the dish. I understand if the soil dries out they may die but I'm not sure if this is the best solution as Otis is at such a young age and I don't want to risk her pyramiding if I can help it...plus the soil gets pretty dusty when it's dry and that could cause agitation for Otis (gets in her nose or eyes).
Is my only option to bake / freeze it? If so, which method of the two do you recommend? Or do I need not rid of them at all? Are they any harm to Otis?
Regards,
Olivia

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I think they will bother you more than they will bother Otis ! ;) I have them in Speedys tank , just a by product of the warm moist environment I created for him ! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also baking or boiling the substrate before using will get rid of having them for a long time

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
What about pouring some boiling water on the spot where the dish sits When Otis is safely out if the way of course, may help kill off any eggs larvae etc

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I think they will bother you more than they will bother Otis ! ;) I have them in Speedys tank , just a by product of the warm moist environment I created for him ! :)
You are probably true! ;)
I'm thinking I will just let them be, or try @Lyn W's idea, since they don't seem to be appearing anywhere but under the water dish.
Thank you,
Olivia

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have added pill bugs to the enclosure to help control the gnats. It helps. Fly paper helps a lot too.
Thank you.
The problem with fly paper may be that they do not seem to venture outside the spot under the water dish, so I'm not sure they'd even see the fly paper to get effective results. But pill bugs seems a great option :)
Olivia

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you all! Since I cannot be bothered to formally reply to the lot of you, let me just say in general I am grateful for your ideas, and will try them out soon. :)
Olivia

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Fly paper helps a lot too.
I have only used fly paper once in a room that gets very warm in the summer and I noticed that the heat made the gunge on the paper liquefy and drip onto the floor below. It may be that it was excessively hot or I wasn't using a great make of fly paper, but just be aware that it can happen and I assume it is probably toxic to torts.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have only used fly paper once in a room that gets very warm in the summer and I noticed that the heat made the gunge on the paper liquefy and drip onto the floor below. It may be that it was excessively hot or I wasn't using a great make of fly paper, but just be aware that it can happen and I assume it is probably toxic to torts.
Thank you for sharing!
Since I am paranoid around Otis, that rules fly paper out...I wouldn't take the risk :)
Olivia

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I do not have this problem at all. It claims to be non toxic to boot. I keep it out of their reach anyway obviously. My tortoise room is always over 80F, and it does not melt at all. It works really well actually.

M

Maggie Cummings

When I get Springtails, I move the tort and pour boiling water over most of the area.Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Right now I have ants, so I am using those plastic square things under the water dish. Not as many ants, just as many Springtail....

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Pill bugs, centipedes, and earthworms seem to keep my fungus gnat population down to hardly noticeable levels.
I second that, I started with handful of earthworms, then tiny soil centipedes came with some plants, then added few pill bugs, have never seen any insects in there and the substrate has been there since June'15. I just turn it rotate plants, and replace moss when needed. With just spot cleaning it does not smell at all