Going out of town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
We have to go out of town for a few days coming up and I was wondering what you all do when you need to travel?
We'll be gone 2.5 days so obviously Echo can't be home alone. We just moved and I've yet to find anyone here we trust to watch her.
We're boarding the dogs & cats at the hospital but I dunno any of the staff there that would be able to take her too.
If push comes to shove ill have to
A) bring her with us which will be stressful all around or b) write such detailed instruction for my grandma who is "wanting to see the turtle!" I'll need to bind and autograph it.

What are your suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally, for that short of time, I leave mine home alone. Lights are on timers, water bowl is filled and a pile of greens are placed just before I leave.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
Personally, for that short of time, I leave mine home alone. Lights are on timers, water bowl is filled and a pile of greens are placed just before I leave.

I was wondering if this was an okay amount of time. I have a new timer (my last one kept failing) that I'll have to figure out this week in advance. I just worry about her rolling over spontaneously, choking, combusting, all the normal new parent stuff.

expo tort

5 Year Member
Well I'd find a way to make a setup so your grandma has to do almost nothing. Get a light timer, text , if she does, your grandma every time she must feed your tort, and leave no stone unturned let it be easy for her or else she'll text u every five minutes. So to recap get a light timer , leave a detailed note text or call whenever feeding is needed, put the greens in the front of the fridge for easy access, and if you must tell your grandma not to touch only look. I've gone away for a week everything was fine in fact I think it ran more efficiently than when u was there. Another note u can get a light timer in home depot/ lowes.

I spent to long typing and three posts went on. XD

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Masin said:
wellington said:

I was wondering if this was an okay amount of time. I have a new timer (my last one kept failing) that I'll have to figure out this week in advance. I just worry about her rolling over spontaneously, choking, combusting, all the normal new parent stuff.

My leopard has only flipped once, last year. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that. Yet, I do make sure there is nothing that I think could make him flip either. Just double check things. Take anything out or move it if you think it will cause a problem and as long as you have your grandmother close, you could ask her to just look in on him each day. Just have it where that is all she has to do is look in just to make sure he isn't flipped, lights are working and water and food are fine.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
expo tort said:
Well I'd find a way to make a setup so your grandma has to do almost nothing. Get a light timer, text , if she does, your grandma every time she must feed your tort, and leave no stone unturned let it be easy for her or else she'll text u every five minutes. So to recap get a light timer , leave a detailed note text or call whenever feeding is needed, put the greens in the front of the fridge for easy access, and if you must tell your grandma not to touch only look. I've gone away for a week everything was fine in fact I think it ran more efficiently than when u was there. Another note u can get a light timer in home depot/ lowes.

I spent to long typing and three posts went on. XD

Yea, I got a new one from Home Depot, I've never set one up, I've always had my partner do it, I'm going to be a big girl this time!
Your post said "it ran more efficiently than when u was there" made it sound like I watched yours and it was a disaster :p

wellington said:
My leopard has only flipped once, last year. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that. Yet, I do make sure there is nothing that I think could make him flip either. Just double check things. Take anything out or move it if you think it will cause a problem and as long as you have your grandmother close, you could ask her to just look in on him each day. Just have it where that is all she has to do is look in just to make sure he isn't flipped, lights are working and water and food are fine.

I have that darn half log, I hate that thing. I worked through 3 sleep deprived hours this morning setting it back up after I baked and froze her coco coir this morning. I can't wait to get new hides I just draw blanks on what to use for them.
She's rolled 3 times in 4 months. Scary :(

expo tort

5 Year Member
Ok rolling trick that I've found, I haven't kept torts long, is when they flip u go in with your hand but don't flip them and them they will start to shake really bad and right them selves. I did that with mine and he hasn't flipped and stayed like that since.

Status
Not open for further replies.