Going out of town. Need advice please.

TaylorG.

Hello everyone,

I am going to be going out of town for 3 days due to a family emergency, but I have no clue what to do with my adult russian tortoise Kobe. I have no one who can watch him. His enclosure does not have timed lights and he is used to getting fed 2X a day. Should I take him to a boarding place or would he be fine on his own for a few days? I have no clue what to do and do not want to harm my little guy. I also do not want to stress him out. Thanks, Taylor.

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington state
I'd go buy timers for your lights first. Make sure there's water in more than one place food dishes full in a couple places. I've had to do this and had no problems. Good luck.best thing would be to get someone to come in to feed water him.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Get a timer. Every hardware store sells them cheaply. You don't need anything fancy. Feed him well before you go and when you get back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now, see? If your tortoise lived outside, where he belongs, going away for a few days wouldn't be a problem at all.

There's just no way in heck I'd go away and not make arrangements for someone to come over and check on my animals. Even if I have to pay a neighbor or a pet sitter to do it. There's just too much that can go wrong - trying to climb the fence and falls over on his back; tips upside down in the waterer; a stray dog jumps the fence and attacks the tortoise; indoors the light burns out or the timer breaks and stops working; the list goes on.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Now, see? If your tortoise lived outside, where he belongs, going away for a few days wouldn't be a problem at all.

There's just no way in heck I'd go away and not make arrangements for someone to come over and check on my animals. Even if I have to pay a neighbor or a pet sitter to do it. There's just too much that can go wrong - trying to climb the fence and falls over on his back; tips upside down in the waterer; a stray dog jumps the fence and attacks the tortoise; indoors the light burns out or the timer breaks and stops working; the list goes on.
I agree with that: those who don't have a pet-paricularly :<3: a tort-wouldn't know how on earth to look after it, feed it, handle it and so on. On the other hand, I believe a tort can manage alone for a couple of days, that is of course if all is setup with food, water, enclosure, and last but not least..temperature.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Taylor is there anyone you trust to pet sit. when I go out of town I have a teenage girl come over. feed/water pets..... bring in the newspapers and mail.. is your tortoise your only pet?

Prairie Mom

Hi Taylor,
We have to do medical travel often and teach our pets (including tortoise) how to travel:) I just posted EXACTLY how we travel very long distances safely with our tortoise on this thread in the debate section: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/vet-visit-versus-cold-weather-what-do-you-do.112729/ - look for "Prairie Mom" 's post with accompanying gadget photo.

Please take a moment to check it out and don't hesitate to come back to me with any questions.:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If it were summer, I would say leave him by himself. If you live where it gets cold, no way would I leave not knowing if some thing would cause the power to go off and maybe allow your tortoise to freeze. I would also, if you live in a cold area, not take him with you, especially with a family emergency where your mind is on family, not the needs of a tortoise. Travel can be hazardous and in cold weather more breakdowns happen. That said, my vote goes to leaving him with a boarding place, unless you sure somebody can't come over just to be sure the power is on and he is okay.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Buy timers and get a pet sitter. This comes from someone who was a pet sitter for 20 plus years

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
A timer plug is definitely an investment, I bought one even for when I'm here just in case I fancy a lie in! I just got back from a weekend away and my housemate was more than happy to chuck in a few weeds and make sure Vince was right side up :)