Gomphrena

Hamiltondood

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Texas
Do you guys know if I could feed my sully gomphrena? I live in Texas and have some nice plants that could be dehydrated for winter. I’m trying to dehydration some hibiscus and he seems to like it. already searched thetortoisetable but couldn’t find anything..Thoughts?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s an amaranth, which the Tortoise Table generally warns against, with concerns about oxalic acid and saponins. I feed a varied diet and don’t worry about oxalates; I offer a couple of different types to my Russian every year. She doesn’t care much for them but always worth a try. There are also plenty of members who let their tortoises eat one of the weedier ones, lambsquarters, another one my Russian doesn’t care for.

If your tortoise likes it I don’t see the harm in allowing some. If you are as conservative as the Tortoise Table, that’s perfectly fine as well; no need to feed anything you aren’t comfortable with.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
It’s an amaranth, which the Tortoise Table generally warns against, with concerns about oxalic acid and saponins. I feed a varied diet and don’t worry about oxalates; I offer a couple of different types to my Russian every year. She doesn’t care much for them but always worth a try. There are also plenty of members who let their tortoises eat one of the weedier ones, lambsquarters, another one my Russian doesn’t care for.

If your tortoise likes it I don’t see the harm in allowing some. If you are as conservative as the Tortoise Table, that’s perfectly fine as well; no need to feed anything you aren’t comfortable with.
Thanks! I‘ll probably off him some tomorrow.