Joliet,IL
This is currently my diet for both my 2 redfoots and my sulcata,

A mixture of,
Romaine
Turnip greens
mustard greens
kale
Collard greens
These are dusted with calcium and Tnt 3x a week for my 2 redfoots and everyday for my sulcata I rescued( due to her condition)

They also all get Mazuri about 3x a week,

I also give my adult redfoot a frozen pinkie once or twice a month for a source of animal protein, as he may receive in the wild:)

Also while outside my sulcata loves to feast on grass:p I will also bring her in some
dandelion leaves that she will eat:)
Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated:)
Thanks for reading!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sounds good...variety is key and sounds like what you have listed along with brass grazing and dandelions you are doing good....add a new leafy green and or weed as often as possible...you are doing good :D

Lol...I meant "grass" not "brass"...goodness, don't offer them brass...lol . (Using my dumb smart phone)....:D

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Ive butchered. Quite a few words myself with auto correct:) and thanks!
I tend to switch between collards. And kale each time I need to restocked, next time I'm out I'm going to get clover, and dandelion seed:) night buy the mix bag of seeds from Carolina pet supply :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Add endive and escarole to the mix. Those are two of my favorite grocery store greens for tortoises. Any safe edible weeds would be a great addition too and free. Look for sow-thistle, dandelions, mallow, clover (NOT oxalis), filaree, hawksbit, etc... There are chemical free weeds everywhere. They cost nothing and they are really good for our tortoises.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I will have to keep an eye out for those next time I am in the store :)
Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Good solid B on the diet for a red-footed. Other than the Romaine, every other green you listed is a brassica, which means that they are either not providing or blocking iodine in the diet. Mix it up with some dark green leafy stuff, plant leaves and flowers, etc.

Endive and escarole are nice options when available because they have a nice calcium to phosphorous ratio (Ca: P). On the other hand, the actual dose of calcium in them is pretty dang small. Things like 'Spring Mix' are nice as well since they contain several kinds of lettuce.

Your red-footed will also appreciate some 'fruit' in the diet. Here, I mean 'fruit' in the true scientific sense- edible parts of a plant that has seeds in it (to oversimplify things). Most things we call fruit can be used, but are pretty sweet and wet. Other good options are things like squash and bell pepper. This should account for about 20%ish of the diet.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I plan on getting more dark greens my next trip to the store, also want to give them a squash, occasionally maybe once a month he will get a little bit of mango :)
Thanks for the great info!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds good to me, I would throw in some flowers for both the sulcata and red foot, both of mine go crazy for hibiscus.

Status
Not open for further replies.