Good Enclosure Size?

Location (City and/or State)
northern ireland
I’m looking to buy a new enclosure for my russian tortoise. I’m horrible at handy work so I’ll probably get one off Etsy that’s handmade. I found a tortoise table that’s 100 x 15 x 50. It’s got another small tier that doubles as a hide underneath. Do you guys think this is a good sized enclosure or should I keep looking?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m looking to buy a new enclosure for my russian tortoise. I’m horrible at handy work so I’ll probably get one off Etsy that’s handmade. I found a tortoise table that’s 100 x 15 x 50. It’s got another small tier that doubles as a hide underneath. Do you guys think this is a good sized enclosure or should I keep looking?
I am assuming your measurements are in cm. If that is the case, that is way too small. You need to look for something closer to 4 feet x 8 feet which would be about 120 cm x 240 cm and you‘d want the walls around 45 to 60 cm tall.

Here is a link to an excellent care sheet that will help explain more.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Keep looking!
Some people have used upvc raised garden beds which are usually 4x4 feet but you can get packs of 2 and make it 4 x 8. They look great. Some come with a plastic tent which will help with humidity too. I'll see if I can find some pics.
If you google the above you may find them on Amazon or in Costco (UK)
They aren't cheap but you'll get more use out of them than a small table so more cost effective in the long run.

northern ireland
I am assuming your measurements are in cm. If that is the case, that is way too small. You need to look for something closer to 4 feet x 8 feet which would be about 120 cm x 240 cm and you‘d want the walls around 45 to 60 cm tall.

Here is a link to an excellent care sheet that will help explain more.
Yes it is in cm, thank you! Will definitely continue to look ?

northern ireland
Keep looking!
Some people have used upvc raised garden beds which are usually 4x4 feet but you can get packs of 2 and make it 4 x 8. They look great. Some come with a plastic tent which will help with humidity too. I'll see if I can find some pics.
If you google the above you may find them on Amazon or in Costco (UK)
They aren't cheap but you'll get more use out of them than a small table so more cost effective in the long run.
Oh wow I did google them, they do look great! Will have to measure it out to see if it would fit somewhere in my house.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here it is.......
These are Lifetime Raised Garden beds but there is a make beginning with V from Costco that was posted a couple of months ago. The member (Elohi) has stacked 2 to make it higher but you can have it lower with more floor space and cap the top edges to stop your Russian scaling the walls.
1616717192268.png

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is Elohi's thread about how she set it up.
It's for her leopard and it may need some tweaking to suit a Russian but the caresheet will help you there.

northern ireland
Here it is.......
These are Lifetime Raised Garden beds but there is a make beginning with V from Costco that was posted a couple of months ago. The member (Elohi) has stacked 2 to make it higher but you can have it lower with more floor space and cap the top edges to stop your Russian scaling the walls.
View attachment 321827
That looks amazing! Will definetly look into that!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There's always the option of using a large bookcase on its back with the shelves removed and lining it with a shower curtain, but you would probably have to make the sides higher and cap the edges. You could then use a plastic portable greenhouse over the top.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just looking at your avatar and wondering what the substrate is you have there?