Looking for some enclosure advice

Nsav

Location (City and/or State)
Robbinsville NJ
Hi All,

I’m looking to upgrade my tortoise enclosure and am seeking recommendations. Currently, I have my 6 month leopard tortoise in a modified Zoo Med Tortoise House with a glass top with cutouts for lamps. It’s a part-time job to hold humility above 75%. And I t’s only 36 x 24 inches.

I’m interested in buying a completely sealed PVC enclosure where I can affix the lamps on the inside. I’m looking for about 8 feet by 3 feet or so. Can anyone recommend some brand names? I’ve looked at Animal Plastics as a serious contender so far. Any other brands you’d recommend? Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

I’m looking to upgrade my tortoise enclosure and am seeking recommendations. Currently, I have my 6 month leopard tortoise in a modified Zoo Med Tortoise House with a glass top with cutouts for lamps. It’s a part-time job to hold humility above 75%. And I t’s only 36 x 24 inches.

I’m interested in buying a completely sealed PVC enclosure where I can affix the lamps on the inside. I’m looking for about 8 feet by 3 feet or so. Can anyone recommend some brand names? I’ve looked at Animal Plastics as a serious contender so far. Any other brands you’d recommend? Thanks.
@Markw84 makes an 8x3. Its called "Smart Enclosure". The price includes all the heating and lighting and thermostats, and it is the most perfect tortoise life support system I have ever seen. I have several of them now and I've helped friends and family put together several more. They are cheaper than if you bought all the parts and materials and built it yourself. When comparing prices, remember that with AP or other makers, you have to buy and install all the bulbs, thermostats, fixtures, etc... after buying the enclosure itself. I have many AP cages too, and Mark's enclosures are just all around better.

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
This is great info. I’ve contacted Mark and he is going to send me details via email. Thanks again.

Nsav

Robbinsville NJ
Hi All,

I bit the bullet and went with a 72”L x 36”W x 24”H AP enclosure. It was between that one and the beautiful smart enclosure made by Mark. Both are great choices. This one should last until I can build a huge outdoor enclosure in a year or so for my 6 month leopard tortoise.

I ordered one that will come with built in fixtures for 2 CHEs, 1 flood lamp, and 2 24 inch UVB tube lights. Many thanks to Tom for his design tips, and I’ve reached out to him a few times and he always gives excellent advice.

Here is how I am considering designing it. Feel free to reach out with any questions or answers. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2