good starter turtle

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
I'm thinking I need an aquatic turtle. I would like one that stays on the smaller side and that can be kept in an aquarium for awhile anyway. Outdoor pond not on schedule or budget till at least next year. Open to suggestions.

*RES are not an option*

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Not sure how easy they are, but i think diamond terrapins stay relatively small... males at maybe 7inches?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm thinking I need an aquatic turtle. I would like one that stays on the smaller side and that can be kept in an aquarium for awhile anyway. Outdoor pond not on schedule or budget till at least next year. Open to suggestions.

*RES are not an option*
Musk or Mud Turtle. Easy to care for and can live in a tank their whole lives.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

*RES are not an option*
Western Painted are great...adult male...6"100_3464.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the painted turtles and and spotted turtles.

I also like the diamond back terrapins, but the brackish water is a deal breaker.

Indian spotted turtles are super cool, but expensive and you'd have to find one in your own state. They also get kind of big at 16 inches.

My all time favorite is the Chinese big headed turtle, but good luck finding one.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I like the painted turtles and and spotted turtles.

I also like the diamond back terrapins, but the brackish water is a deal breaker.

Indian spotted turtles are super cool, but expensive and you'd have to find one in your own state. They also get kind of big at 16 inches.

My all time favorite is the Chinese big headed turtle, but good luck finding one.
I've seen a Chinese big headed turtle on a documentary that I can't remember....?
They are cute little oddballs!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone have experience with
Vietnamese/Annam Pond Turtles?

1591146799679.png

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Southern painted turtles grab my eye as well

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
There so many species out in the hobby that are attractive but some are also hard to come by and expensive.

How much are you willing to pay for an animal? What size of aquarium or enclosure are you thinking?
Personally hands down-look into North American Spotted Turtle (Clemmy guttata)
Maximum size is around 5”.
They are a shallow water species. Can be pricey. Especially for adult and a female.

their are some small but large species of turtles that don’t get big as a Red Ear Slider.
These groups would be:
Any Painted turtles

European Pond Turtles (Look for the “Hellenic group” via Garden State Tortoise)
Spanish Pond Turtle ( rarely offered in the trade)
Balkan Terrapin (The Syrian locality too me is the prettiest of this species)

or Reeves Turtles.

Then there are the musk and mud turtles As well.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

*RES are not an option*
You “need” it?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
There so many species out in the hobby that are attractive but some are also hard to come by and expensive.

How much are you willing to pay for an animal? What size of aquarium or enclosure are you thinking?
Personally hands down-look into North American Spotted Turtle (Clemmy guttata)
Maximum size is around 5”.
They are a shallow water species. Can be pricey. Especially for adult and a female.

their are some small but large species of turtles that don’t get big as a Red Ear Slider.
These groups would be:
Any Painted turtles

European Pond Turtles (Look for the “Hellenic group” via Garden State Tortoise)
Spanish Pond Turtle ( rarely offered in the trade)
Balkan Terrapin (The Syrian locality too me is the prettiest of this species)

or Reeves Turtles.

Then there are the musk and mud turtles As well.

I would love a spotted turtle but I can't have them in NY. Ideally I would like to start out with a 75 gallon tank. I don't have any experience keeping a turtle so while I could afford to splurge a little I wouldn't want to until I know what I'm doing.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
I would love a spotted turtle but I can't have them in NY. Ideally I would like to start out with a 75 gallon tank. I don't have any experience keeping a turtle so while I could afford to splurge a little I wouldn't want to until I know what I'm doing.

I think Painted are good option to start out. They don’t get too big, especially with males.
They are very hardy. And native to NY. So if keeping them outdoor wouldn’t be a problem if the pond is below ground style.

European Pond Turtles are very hardy too.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I also suggest painted, more “timid” than their RES cousins and imho much better personalities. I know one male that is 35 years old in a 40gal breeder tank with a pump filter. 75gal would be a mansion for them.

Texas
Some of my favorite turtles are musk turtles. I actually have a baby razorback musk turtle in a 20 gallon tank since it can be house here for another year since it is only the size of a penny. A three-stripped mud turtle is great since you can keep it with no problem in a 30 gallon + you just have to enrich it's environment with climbing places so it can get up to breathe. It really depends on the size of tank you can get.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
At two years old, my three-striped mud turtles (Bold and Pinstripe) are a little under four inches SCL now. Both turned out to be female, and in a 40 breeder with 5-ish inches or so of water (and some tank furniture), they get along fine.

They're personable. Sometimes they're still comedians, and they still come to the front of the tank to beg. As they've gotten older and less tiny, they have become easier to feed (they now prefer Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets instead of live food). They have also mellowed out a bit (not as nippy when I pick them up, but I'm still careful when I do).

Of course I'm biased, but three-striped mud turtles would be an excellent choice.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
At two years old, my three-striped mud turtles (Bold and Pinstripe) are a little under four inches SCL now. Both turned out to be female, and in a 40 breeder with 5-ish inches or so of water (and some tank furniture), they get along fine.

They're personable. Sometimes they're still comedians, and they still come to the front of the tank to beg. As they've gotten older and less tiny, they have become easier to feed (they now prefer Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets instead of live food). They have also mellowed out a bit (not as nippy when I pick them up, but I'm still careful when I do).

Of course I'm biased, but three-striped mud turtles would be an excellent choice.
I was just looking more into these today. Thanks for the reply

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If I had a 75 gallon tank, I might consider getting a third turtle of the same species. I would not add another one in with the three-striped ladies unless it was comparable size, though. I might have to get a hatchling and raise it separately until it was big enough to join the "big" turtles.