Good Substrate combination for Russian Tortoise

Devon John

I am moving my Russian Tortoise from a 40 gallon tank to a much larger kiddie pool. Based on research, coco coir and topsoil seem like a good option. Combined would these both be a good option?

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
more than one substrate is needed to recreate the natural floor, a patch of rough rocks - to wear down the claws and beak, dirt - to burry and dig, bark, leaves, moss - to stay moist in if wanted:)i do not say mix them, but make a few different spots available to choose from and have fun in:)

Devon John

more than one substrate is needed to recreate the natural floor, a patch of rough rocks - to wear down the claws and beak, dirt - to burry and dig, bark, leaves, moss - to stay moist in if wanted:)i do not say mix them, but make a few different spots available to choose from and have fun in:)
So which substrate would you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer damp coco coir for small russians and fine grade orchid bark for older ones.

I don't like bought-in-a-bag soil because its messy and turns to mud, but more importantly, because you can't know what composted plant material it is made with. Could be something harmless, or it could be oleander and chemically treated grass clippings.

No sand at all. Sand is a big impaction risk and potential skin and eye irritant.