Gopher or Desert?

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Georgia
A local reptile rescue posted pics of this guy, but there's debate on whether it's a Gopher or Desert tortoise. We do have Gophers natively, but they're protected.
Thoughts appreciated.received_156258570838648.jpegreceived_307824541657476.jpegreceived_670765718411255.jpegreceived_958160971938397.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Don't know, but he's been too dry for too long and pyramided, almost looks like a bit of MBD too from the flattened shape of the carapace. Does Georgia have Desert tortoises anyway?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need someone experienced with both species. I know the CA desert tortoise very well, but I don't know the FL gophers well enough to compare and contrast. Add in the damage done by incorrect captive care, and it makes it even more difficult. I think I could look at two typical wild examples of each species and tell them apart, but this guy in your pics looks very "in the middle" to me.

The gophers tend to look slightly higher domed to me than the deserts, and this guy looks like he would have been higher domed than a desert if it wasn't for the pyramiding and MBD. That coupled with the location has me guessing its a gopher, but I say that with very little certainty based on my lack of experience with gopher torts. If someone who knew the origin of this tortoise stated otherwise, I would not argue.